What's your preferred finishing oil/varnish?

Hi just wondering what finishes others are using, and what works best for you. I've tried loads of different stuff from danish oil, decking oil to varnish, but still not settled on one product. Ideally i want something that dries fairly quick(even in our damp climate), only needs 2-3 coats, dosen't break the bank and leaves a nice satin sheen...Let me know if you've found something that works for you. I used Rustins danish oil on this wild boar carving, quite like the finish, but it took about 5 coats to get it to sheen up, gets a bit pricey....

IMG_20181202_112544.jpg

IMG_20181202_112824.jpg

IMG_20181202_112931.jpg

• Like 5

Hi I always use Teak Oil as I find it soaks in better than danish oil or theres Osmo but thats expensive ,at the mo I have this Spanish 2 stage stuff first coat is an anti fungicide and then a top coat it works really well comes from Wood Finishes in Yeovil ,but my go to finish is always Teak Oil 

• Like 1

Nice carving!
I have used various finishes. Osmo was good but expensive. On advice from another carver I changed to Rustins clear decking oil which was very good but no longer available.
I have now got it’s replacement Rustins clear water based quick drying decking oil.
It is early days but I’m very impressed so far. A small amount goes far. After a couple of coats it gives a good hard surface but also soaks in well. It is very strange stuff to apply. It’s like painting with skimmed milk. It tends to pool and it looks milky until it’s dried. The really good thing is that it says that it can be applied to damp wood.
Worth a try and it is more environmentally friendly.

Lovely boar.. I'm not a carver but perhaps give this place a look,  just about every conceivable wood finish known to man...maybe toooo much choice.

I've also tried many different products to try to protect outdoor wood, I'm currently liking Barrettine log cabin treatment

WWW.WOOD-FINISHES-DIRECT.COM

The No.1 Supplier for Quality Wood Finishes and Wood Finishing Products in the UK

• 4 weeks later...

Using teak oil and decking oil i've found you have to get the carving really clean before you coat it when you have done a lot of fine sanding on it first. The tiny wood dust particles seem to group up within the oil and spoil the finish ifs its not been jetwash first

Have used decking oil on a couple of pieces which worked ok, much thinner and easier to paint on the carving.