Timberwolf 230 DHB Starting Issues

jurassic86

7 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I would get that air out the pre-filter just because it's going to drag it in eventually. You could put it upright and disconnect the hose from the electric pump and flick the ignition on to prime it, it will also check that the electric pump is working properly at the same time. 

We did this and fuel comes out but air remains inside or at least it doesn't appear to be filling up with fuel completely. 

9 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

There's a low pressure electric diaphragm pump post the pre-filter (silver filter looking thing with wires coming out of it) then the injector pump is mechanical. The mechanical pump is low volume, high pressure and air bubbles make it s*** itself. If you have air in the line between the pump and the injectors then the injectors don't pop-off and hence you get no start or missing on one cylinder

Yes it certainly seems like this is the case. We've popped the lines off and blew back to the fuel tank, do you think its worth taking the pipe of the metal filter and blowing upwards to the injectors? 

If we take the bleed screw off the fuel pump (Mechanical One) then fuel will continually keep being dragged up from the little fuel lift pump.

The inline fuel filter should be full of fuel, it’s not, it’s either a blockage in the tank/ pipeline or it’s a fuel pump issue. Start at the tank, drain it of all fuel, and clean it out, then disconnect the fuel line up to the inline and blow it out.

5 minutes ago, jurassic86 said:

We did this and fuel comes out but air remains inside or at least it doesn't appear to be filling up with fuel completely. 

Yes it certainly seems like this is the case. We've popped the lines off and blew back to the fuel tank, do you think its worth taking the pipe of the metal filter and blowing upwards to the injectors? 

If we take the bleed screw off the fuel pump (Mechanical One) then fuel will continually keep being dragged up from the little fuel lift pump.

Well, if it's not coming out then just leave it. They usually have a couple of bubbles in but that looked like it had a lot of air in and I was curious as to if the sonic welded but was sucking in air at the top more than anything. 

I wouldn't blow lines through as all you're doing is adding air. Assuming your electric lift pump is working then that should bleed the lines up to the pump housing. Have you tried to start it without the fuel solenoid fitted? 

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Well, if it's not coming out then just leave it. They usually have a couple of bubbles in but that looked like it had a lot of air in and I was curious as to if the sonic welded but was sucking in air at the top more than anything. 

I wouldn't blow lines through as all you're doing is adding air. Assuming your electric lift pump is working then that should bleed the lines up to the pump housing. Have you tried to start it without the fuel solenoid fitted? 

Yep makes no difference... but that solenoid I think is broken. When removed the plunger does not move when the ignition is on, but furthermore - what ever that plunger touches does not seem to spring back when removed.

I attach this photo again, does this look right? 

photo_2021-01-06_17-18-26.jpg

29 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Plastic in line fitter can have air in and will not affect the running of engine. 

Yes unless you can mount them vertically  ones I have fitted seem to work okay with the bubble of air.

It would be handy if we had a +1 icon as a choice with the like, laugh, confused or sad

21 minutes ago, jurassic86 said:

Yep makes no difference... but that solenoid I think is broken. When removed the plunger does not move when the ignition is on, but furthermore - what ever that plunger touches does not seem to spring back when removed.

I attach this photo again, does this look right? 

photo_2021-01-06_17-18-26.jpg

I mean, it's there? There's not much more you can say about that! 

Out of interest, check the pipe coming out of the tank doesn't have some sort of restriction. I had a virtually identical problem on a kubot digger once, and there was gunk built up at the tank outlet. Filter didn't show this problem. Once I had cleaned this out, it was ok

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Out of interest, check the pipe coming out of the tank doesn't have some sort of restriction. I had a virtually identical problem on a kubot digger once, and there was gunk built up at the tank outlet. Filter didn't show this problem. Once I had cleaned this out, it was ok

Could also draw a fine line on the filter where the air bubble is and turn it on so the pump runs. If the line is blocked that mahooosive bubble in there will get bigger

1 minute ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Could also draw a fine line on the filter where the air bubble is and turn it on so the pump runs. If the line is blocked that mahooosive bubble in there will get bigger

The filter doesn't fill until ignition is switched on and then after you turn off ignition it seems to go back into fuel tank.