Timberwolf 230 DHB Starting Issues

jurassic86

Hi,

My Timberwolf 230 does not seem to start very well when warm. 

Reading the user manual it says to turn key to heater and wait for it to go out, but my LED does not go out regardless of how long I hold key on the HEAT switch for. 

Any suggestions on what to check? Fuel filters changed and fuel is clean and no sign of contamination, when you hold starter key on for a long time it will eventually go with a plume of white smoke but won't be doing the motor any good.

Something's not right there.... 

You only need the glow plug for cold start then should be fine most if not all.of the day (depends how often your using it) starting up from warm should just be a turn the key and start. 

Can you hear the fuel pump making noise when the ignition is on? 

Possibility of water in your fuel? Sticking fuel stop solenoid? 

Possibility of air getting in fuel.system and the fuel draining back this taking ages to crank to start.... 

Cracked fuel filter housing or washer not sealing for bleeding the filter on top of it.

Edited by swinny
  • Like 2

Timberwolf's have 2 filters have you changed both and have you fitted the inline one the right way around, but probable would affect cold starting as well.

Once it is warm how hard is it to turn flywheel by hand if little or no resistance it could be a compression problem with engine, if it has little compression could be anything from loose injector to head gasket.

Could be easier to get good fitter to look at it is Kubota engine fitted to a lot of plant.     

14 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Timberwolf's have 2 filters have you changed both and have you fitted the inline one the right way around, but probable would affect cold starting as well.

Once it is warm how hard is it to turn flywheel by hand if little or no resistance it could be a compression problem with engine, if it has little compression could be anything from loose injector to head gasket.

Could be easier to get good fitter to look at it is Kubota engine fitted to a lot of plant.     

Really appreciate all the helpful and informative replies.

Will start by checking filters in morning, then move to turning flywheel and seeing what compression is like.

29 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Good shout that on the inline possible wrong way round! 

Do you have cold starting issues? If you don't then that rules out air getting into the fuel system or other fuel system related problems in my mind. You usually get a cold start issue when you have a fuel system air leak as it has to drag through fuel. How long do you have to leave it for the hot start issue? If you turn it off and leave it for 2 minutes or so is the problem there or is it after a certain period of time? 

Hot start is usually compression and even sometimes the injector pump. If the pump is getting dodgy it can lose pressure when hot as hot diesel is thin and can make the difference on a leaky pump. Other option is like swinny says, sticky stop solenoid. 

Fault finding wise I would check compression cold and hot, Check the injection line pressure cold and hot (~1991psi)

The H-BOX PCU controller may be getting a little funny. It's obviously a little lost as it's leaving the glow plug light on. According to the wiring diagram there's no glow plug controller, they're wired directly to the ignition and the PCU gets an input from the key to say it's in the glow plug position and the light comes on then I assume a timer circuit just turns it off as there's no real inputs to the pcu and it has no actual control of the glow plugs. It does however control the stop solenoid etc. You could buy a can of freezer spray, I use it a lot for fault isolation. Spray the PCU until it's icy on a hot start and see if it starts better. You could also use this spray on the fuel stop solenoid to make it cold and see if it cures the issue when hot. If the PCU is being a tit then it might not be disengaging the fuel stop solenoid. I don't think the problem is glow plug related though as you don't need plugs on a hot start. 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1