Best trea Shear for a 7.5t digger?

Been toying with one for a while now and about to bite the bullet.

I have a few km of hedge to coppice, some conifers that have got carried away and a load of dying ash which will want some help in time. I am after a bit of an all rounder, it wont get a lot of use but when its needed it will be very helpful.

I have spent the afternoon chatting to:

TMK - about £4800
Bucket Warehouse - £2990
Approved Hydraulics - £5000
JB Equipment - £2990.

all broadly the same. TMK have welded blade which seems high risk if it cracks on you. the rest have a few differences.

having a second headstock on the side is appealing. Bucket Warehouse have their best cut on the right not left so harder to see from the cab how its going.

I am favouring JB Equipment - https://www.jbequipment.co.uk/collections/jb-cougar-excavator-tree-shears/products/jb-cougar-300-tree-shear-6-10-tonne?variant=18652199157822

adding the second head brings it to £3240, about a week to deliver....this is my most preferred I think. I like the idea of being able to use the unit as a grab as well.

does anyone have any recommendations?

TYIA

I’ve not got experience myself of using these, but my good friend @Gray git has it and rates it. Think he has it’s bigger brother too. Not sure on price but reckon John could give  you ballpark figures. 

WWW.JASPWILSON.CO.UK

a JAK Excavator Tree Shear Grapple is a fast, efficient and cost effective tool for first thinnings, site management...

I’ve not got experience myself of using these, but my good friend @Gray git has it and rates it. Think he has it’s bigger brother too. Not sure on price but reckon John could give  you ballpark figures. 

250-j.jpg WWW.JASPWILSON.CO.UK
a JAK Excavator Tree Shear Grapple is a fast, efficient and cost effective tool for first thinnings, site management...  

Got the 200 as a fixed and a 250 as swing rotation and what can I say, I ain't broken them yet and they have cut some tonnage of understory and hedging between themIMG_20200311_201832_560.jpegIMG_20200311_201832_559.jpeg
Very good at rehandling and stacking material and should you somehow managed to damage the blade it's easily replaced although not cheap as it's made out of some seriously strong star material.
  • Like 2

We use the TMK on our 8 ton and it's been very reliable and works well. Doesn't get a huge amount of work but it spends most of it's time in hardwood and our record was 70 ton in hedgerows in a day.

Having it on a tilting hitch will be an improvement in every way and reduce the risk of twisting it.

Literally so many options now, the obvious one you missed out off was the OMEF 300 which is a very strong/simple piece of kit with huge ram and great geometry that will go better in large material than a TMK.

Very cost effective, bombproof tool and can be had with an absolute top quality worm drive continuous 360 rotator that will stand the test of time.

Turns it into a great all rounder.

I actually hire out an OMEF400 such is my faith in it’s build.

TMK300 with Turbo Ram is the tool in smaller material, these are real fast bits of kit and the Turbo ram a great piece of engineering, you really do get the speed, but when the larger portion of ram catches up it still packs a punch.

I run a TMK300 full spec, Turbo Ram and Collector under an Engcon Tiltrotator, continually toy with switching it for an OMEF just for more cut, but I’d lose all the speed!

Intermercato have a few in the mix here, choice would be T-Cut 25 which is an absolute tank of a build, and huge ram.

Big opening and use it either side of the blade.

Doesn’t seem to suffer the loose blade bolt issues of the 200/250 E models that are strong simple shears themselves.

Sold plenty of Intermercato, absolutely rock solid Shears, mate just completed 8 miles of Rail work with the most basic 200E with larger 250 blade fitted.

Made him same money with absolutely no issues as any of the more  expensive offerings.

Whatever you decide, get the pressure checked on your machine and have it properly set to the Shear requirements.

If you go TMK and Turbo ram, get it properly setup.

So many just think these things will just plug straight on and Cut, then moan one make is nowhere near another they’ve tried?

Facts are some like TMK will tolerate lower pressure than others, as TMK are the only manufacturer that you can really spec the Ram to the pressure you currently have, they offer such a range.

Try low pressure with the big hitters like the T-Cut and OMEF and you’re going nowhere fast!

• Like 3

I have gone for one of these.

RSL-ENGINEERING.MYSHOPWIRED.CO.UK

The Mother Kutter 300 Tree Shear 300 mm interchangeable Hardox blade. The MK has evolved over many years to be the optimum force is is today.With 25 T of ram push and weighing in at around 200 kg , this makes it the strongest, fastest and most powerful shear in its class.The arm literally pulls the tree over the blade for a clean cut. The price  now includes a flow control and pressure relief valve set to the maximum shear pressures.Made to order for machines from 2.5 to 9 T. Lead times are generally 2-4 weeks from payment received. Please check with us at the time of ordering This Mother Kutter is quoted without rotator, please add £1950.00 plus vat if you want to add a rotator.Each RSL product is made to  to fit each machine, we therefore require completed  measurements B C D and E in the measurement chart in the images, along with full name , address and phone number.Lead times can vary. (Please contact us before purchase) 0203-305-6509Prices shown are subject to VAT and Carriage, Contact us on +44 (0) 203 305-6509 for carriage quotes Please read our terms and conditions of trade before making a purchase with us here https://www.rslengineering.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/ 

4 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

Literally so many options now, the obvious one you missed out off was the OMEF 300 which is a very strong/simple piece of kit with huge ram and great geometry that will go better in large material than a TMK.

Very cost effective, bombproof tool and can be had with an absolute top quality worm drive continuous 360 rotator that will stand the test of time.

Turns it into a great all rounder.

I actually hire out an OMEF400 such is my faith in it’s build.

TMK300 with Turbo Ram is the tool in smaller material, these are real fast bits of kit and the Turbo ram a great piece of engineering, you really do get the speed, but when the larger portion of ram catches up it still packs a punch.

I run a TMK300 full spec, Turbo Ram and Collector under an Engcon Tiltrotator, continually toy with switching it for an OMEF just for more cut, but I’d lose all the speed!

Intermercato have a few in the mix here, choice would be T-Cut 25 which is an absolute tank of a build, and huge ram.

Big opening and use it either side of the blade.

Doesn’t seem to suffer the loose blade bolt issues of the 200/250 E models that are strong simple shears themselves.

Sold plenty of Intermercato, absolutely rock solid Shears, mate just completed 8 miles of Rail work with the most basic 200E with larger 250 blade fitted.

Made him same money with absolutely no issues as any of the more  expensive offerings.

Whatever you decide, get the pressure checked on your machine and have it properly set to the Shear requirements.

If you go TMK and Turbo ram, get it properly setup.

So many just think these things will just plug straight on and Cut, then moan one make is nowhere near another they’ve tried?

Facts are some like TMK will tolerate lower pressure than others, as TMK are the only manufacturer that you can really spec the Ram to the pressure you currently have, they offer such a range.

Try low pressure with the big hitters like the T-Cut and OMEF and you’re going nowhere fast!

Thanks very much. The OMEF is more of a claw than a grab though so if we want to do grab work its more limited.

The T cut 25 was in the mix but was quite a bit more money, perhaps for good reason.

The rotator is tempting but excessive, this may be an Arb forum but I am farming / property so its just not going to get the use you boys do on a daily basis.

The digger has been test up to 160 psi which is not very high, we never tested it higher but expect it to go higher  - working on that now. being a tackuchi 7.5t there seems no reason why it wont given most of these are designed for units between say 5-10 ton. Its obvious that with no pressure nothing is going to cut well but point well made! I am leaning towards this

WWW.JBEQUIPMENT.CO.UK

Available to fit excavators from 2 - 25 tonnes. Telehandler & other machinery brackets available on request. Models and...

based mostly on costs but also on practicality