For sale - Sycamore - very large - green

Newman Maintenance

In my opinion as it is it is worth nothing. Probably you pay to have it removed. Its too big. Sycamore is a very low demand sawn lumber and its a pretty ugly tree. The only way this is worth anything is if someone takes the risk of Milling it. And that is far easier in situ with a lucas or alaskan.
If it were mine or free and very local to me I would mill it for sure. If i had to pay for the chance to take the risk? Any more than £50 and I wouldn't.
On the other hand turning that tree into logs is also a right pita so not loads of money to be made there either

• Like 2

Yeah, no worries.

On bloody self isolation at the moment so will be a little while but I'll post some pics when I've started. There is so much it's crazy, the photo I posted is only a small part of 1 of the trees.

There are 30 inch wide, 20ft long straight branches, another whole tree as well and I shifted stacks of small stuff to my land for firewood

Edited by Newman Maintenance
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 10:31, muttley9050 said:

In my opinion as it is it is worth nothing. Probably you pay to have it removed. Its too big. Sycamore is a very low demand sawn lumber and its a pretty ugly tree. The only way this is worth anything is if someone takes the risk of Milling it. And that is far easier in situ with a lucas or alaskan.
If it were mine or free and very local to me I would mill it for sure. If i had to pay for the chance to take the risk? Any more than £50 and I wouldn't.
On the other hand turning that tree into logs is also a right pita so not loads of money to be made there either

Have you ever slabbed a large sycamore with your Lucas and was the result worth it?

I have a four and a half foot wide trunk twelve feet long, nice and straight with no knots and was debating whether to try and make some natural edged tables from it to try out my new planer and sander on the Lucas Model 8 after slabbing it at three inches thick.

• Like 1