Chainsaw boots

SamanthaSunny

10 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

IME I buy a size that fits snug.  They will pack out and stretch over time with use. 

So I wear thin socks then they’ll get a bit looser then up the thickness of the socks.  Rinse and repeat.

If I bought a size up, after a few weeks they would be boats on me.

Well if I have to cannot exchange them then that is good news rich 🙂 I prefer thin socks too and only wear the best shoes I can afford because I believe you usually get what you pay for and I like comfort. 

26 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

They're not walking boots Sam, they're climbing / work boots - very different animals by design and intent.  If you try and compare them with previous walking boots you will surely be disappointed.  Conversely, try climbing / gaffs with them and you (should) be delighted... 

Ah ok that’s a huge relief Kevin and I have honestly never seen a pair before, let alone wear them. All new experiences. I just have to acclimatise as you say 🙂 I normally wear brasher boots for work and they are more comfortable than anything I have ever worn. Do ground workers wear the same boots ? 

28 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I got told that when I was getting my new leather fire boots so I got a perfect fit. After a week they were killing me but I bared with them thinking they would expand. They never did and I swapped them for a bigger size and could wear them with thick socks. Not sure if our feet swell up when working constantly? 

I just looked into that and you are right 🙂 feet can swell which I have never considered before. 

E668FF70-4344-40BC-BF06-F635E99AD3D1.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SamanthaSunny said:

Do ground workers wear the same boots ? 

Yes, the stiffness I would guess is partially due to the chainsaw protection.  Plus, I haven't come across another industry that is so hard on boots.  

Take a standard pair of hikers and they will be pretty scuffed up before long.

I tend to wear my Andrews when felling and dismantling.  I wear AKU Approach boots (Via Ferata) when pruning.  They are lighter, a bit grippier and more flexible.  Not chainsaw protection though or steel capped.  The boots that last the longest IME are ones with a full rand as the day to day figures of tree climbing would destroy them pretty quickly.

In summary, the chainsaw boots will be much clunkier than you average walking boot.  However, there is only so much give in the length of the boot, so if they are too small, then they might just be that, too small.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SamanthaSunny said:

That is HUGELY helpful Thankyou 🙂 I think I may have to send them back and request a size 6 then because I only tried them on with a thin pair of socks and they only just fitted. I am only a size 5 but they are a 5.5 but are as tight as a five 😬

Dunno, Sam, you say 5½ but you might be all 6s and 7s.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SamanthaSunny said:

I just looked into that and you are right 🙂 feet can swell which I have never considered before. 

E668FF70-4344-40BC-BF06-F635E99AD3D1.jpeg

I have smallish feet for a geezer , size 8 . My c/s boots ar Pfanner Zermats , a bit stiff but well comfy . Meant for spikes really .  My walking boots are Wide fit Grisport Aztek . I tried your Brasher Hill walker jobbies but way too tight . I have hobbits feet !

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 1