Ornamental trees for my lawn

Daniel M

Question

Hi All

My wife and I have recently bought our first house and I'm in the process of tidying up the front lawn. I have cut down a tree (cherry, apparently) that had multiple roots on the surface of the lawn, ruining the grass. I want to have a nice lawn so that's why I've removed it. Are you able to suggest a tree that I can plant in it's place? I don't want the same problem with roots and I don't want it to get too big.

Many thanks

Daniel

9 hours ago, nepia said:

What's the 5th pic - green leaves, purple tips?  That's most unusual.

It's Acer palmatum Tsuma gaki.  Needs a bit of shade - but a real beauty.  This picture is just after leaf break in the spring.

Fairly easy to obtain.  Quick to about 3m high and then slows down.  Autumn colour is pretty plain though.

• Thanks 1

Nepia - that's a real beauty! 

I find this variety grows quite strongly and has some lovely autumn colour - especially if there's a dry spell.  Oranges and yellows.

If you plant one of the really dark red varieties nearby - it will really pop.  Maybe a Dissectum like Crimson Queen?

2 hours ago, Bunzena said:

Nepia - that's a real beauty! 

I find this variety grows quite strongly and has some lovely autumn colour - especially if there's a dry spell.  Oranges and yellows.

If you plant one of the really dark red varieties nearby - it will really pop.  Maybe a Dissectum like Crimson Queen?

I'll keep Crimson Queen in mind - thank you.  Not to be confused with Crimson King it seems!

Encouraging to see your comment on growth potential of Jordan.

Cheers,

Jon

10 minutes ago, Khriss said:

OR Liquid Ambar, nice autumn color also ( just fr a different suggestion)  k

Liquidambar's fine but doesn't jump out at me:  I have a mental wants list more than long enough for this garden and it's not small!

Last week I planted Aesculus pavia and indica; the leaves on pavia especially are superb.

I have a Hop Hornbeam to put in; lovely tree but wouldn't have told my kids months ago I wanted one for my birthday if I'd known that the new garden and woodland would be in area where 90% of the natives are oak and hornbeam!

Thanks anyway.

7 minutes ago, nepia said:

Liquidambar's fine but doesn't jump out at me:  I have a mental wants list more than long enough for this garden and it's not small!

Last week I planted Aesculus pavia and indica; the leaves on pavia especially are superb.

I have a Hop Hornbeam to put in; lovely tree but wouldn't have told my kids months ago I wanted one for my birthday if I'd known that the new garden and woodland would be in area where 90% of the natives are oak and hornbeam!

Thanks anyway.

I would have just planted yr suggestions anyway 😉 K

Bet you wouldn't have gone for Chionanthus retusus or Caragana arborescens though would ya.

I'm just showing off; I'd never heard of them either until I found them at the well known Perryhill Nursery last month, sadly closing down forever in July.

Edited by nepia
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

cute when young but these can grow way too big for a front lawn.

I dont mind pruning trees 😉 a couple of Birch are worth a shot, River birch for its interesting bark or Albo sinensis, but certainly leave a large turf free area around tree for mulching ( and reducing  surface root appearance over time) K