Ornamental trees for my lawn

Daniel M

Question

Hi All

My wife and I have recently bought our first house and I'm in the process of tidying up the front lawn. I have cut down a tree (cherry, apparently) that had multiple roots on the surface of the lawn, ruining the grass. I want to have a nice lawn so that's why I've removed it. Are you able to suggest a tree that I can plant in it's place? I don't want the same problem with roots and I don't want it to get too big.

Many thanks

Daniel

54 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

Hi All

My wife and I have recently bought our first house and I'm in the process of tidying up the front lawn. I have cut down a tree (cherry, apparently) that had multiple roots on the surface of the lawn, ruining the grass. I want to have a nice lawn so that's why I've removed it. Are you able to suggest a tree that I can plant in it's place? I don't want the same problem with roots and I don't want it to get too big.

Many thanks

Daniel

Acer Brilliantisimum is a nice ornamental,not too big and a lovely salmon pink colour

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Acer Brilliantisimum is a nice ornamental,not too big and a lovely salmon pink colour

Many thanks Gary - really helpful!

How wide would the trunk get do you know?

And do you have any other suggestions as I may actually plant a couple of trees.

Cheers

Daniel

15 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

Many thanks Gary - really helpful!

How wide would the trunk get do you know?

And do you have any other suggestions as I may actually plant a couple of trees.

Cheers

Daniel

There are quite a few ornamental Acers,if you have a look theres a few different coloured ones and can all be kept to a reasonable size

Agree with Gary - an Acer would be a good choice.  I have a bit of an Japanese Acer 'problem' - with a collection of 100+ varieties.

If the spot is breezy and in full sun - be cautious.  Japanese Acers don't like too much of either.  Varieties I'd look at  would be any Acer palmatum dissectum [the weeping, mound forming varieties], Acer palmatum Osakazuki [blazing autumn colour - gets to 5m in height], Acer palmatum Trompenburg [very sun tolerant, very dark leaves, nice upright habit 4m high], Acer palmatum Shin deshojo [gorgeous pink spring leaf, but needs shade and shelter, 3m high] or Acer palmatum Sango kaku [coral pink stems, fresh yellow/green leaves in summer, needs some shelter 4m+ high].

I've seen all of the above in B&Q over the past few years - so not too difficult to obtain. 

If you want to create something really eyecatching, then mix up an Acer shirasawanum aureum [really acid green] with Acer palmatum Bloodgood [deep, dark red].  Looks spectacular.

People say they need acid soil - but I would disagree.  Perfectly happy in any soil that's not strongly alkaline.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bunzena said:

Agree with Gary - an Acer would be a good choice.  I have a bit of an Japanese Acer 'problem' - with a collection of 100+ varieties.

If the spot is breezy and in full sun - be cautious.  Japanese Acers don't like too much of either.  Varieties I'd look at  would be any Acer palmatum dissectum [the weeping, mound forming varieties], Acer palmatum Osakazuki [blazing autumn colour - gets to 5m in height], Acer palmatum Trompenburg [very sun tolerant, very dark leaves, nice upright habit 4m high], Acer palmatum Shin deshojo [gorgeous pink spring leaf, but needs shade and shelter, 3m high] or Acer palmatum Sango kaku [coral pink stems, fresh yellow/green leaves in summer, needs some shelter 4m+ high].

I've seen all of the above in B&Q over the past few years - so not too difficult to obtain. 

If you want to create something really eyecatching, then mix up an Acer shirasawanum aureum [really acid green] with Acer palmatum Bloodgood [deep, dark red].  Looks spectacular.

People say they need acid soil - but I would disagree.  Perfectly happy in any soil that's not strongly alkaline.

Cracking advice there.

It certainly is; there's a person who knows their Acers.

Thanks @Bunzena: I'm moving house in less than a fortnight to a place with an acre and a half of garden and woodland. The soil is slightly acidic - Azaleas and Rhodies do well there - so Acers will definitely feature in the planting, of which there will be a lot; I want to cut the mowing down.  I don't see the point of a work intensive green desert when you can plant up with trees and shrubs.

1 hour ago, nepia said:

It certainly is; there's a person who knows their Acers.

Thanks @Bunzena: I'm moving house in less than a fortnight to a place with an acre and a half of garden and woodland. The soil is slightly acidic - Azaleas and Rhodies do well there - so Acers will definitely feature in the planting, of which there will be a lot; I want to cut the mowing down.  I don't see the point of a work intensive green desert when you can plant up with trees and shrubs.

Wow - that sounds like a fantastic spot to plant.  Very envious - in the best possible way!  😉

Looking forward to the 'Open day'. 

The best book - I think - on Japanese Maples is by Vertrees and Gregory.  Really good resource.  

For the nutters like me - I really like the less well-known Acer shirasawanum varieties.  Harder to find but really overlooked.

Enjoy.DSCF0007.thumb.JPG.d43494aaec1da16f8740ae9c1dd8c0a0.JPGDSCF0032.thumb.JPG.90b274436c73b922bfb185179bf41476.JPGIMG_1713.thumb.JPG.28cd34b4f1e842213082b10243bd0eb6.JPGIMG_1751.thumb.JPG.ea4d773120f10aa1277a03b2ccfeed45.JPGIMG_1760.thumb.JPG.9be7c18ba992ccd872adb73f600ff921.JPGDSCF0047.thumb.JPG.d200740f8134ab9a86e8d21ecf01814b.JPGDSCF0043.thumb.JPG.c916d193728512611865f15c29323ec9.JPGDSCF0077.thumb.JPG.0242200991cc556445a973766dd4b53e.JPG

• Like 6