Sharpen own chipper blades? Tormek?

richy_B

6 minutes ago, lux said:

Haven’t we all done that far too much emoji23.pngemoji23.png that process of convincing yourself it could be good just to find out as you really suspected it’s crap.

I have many an expensive 'ornament' in the shed. Haha.

Although I've bought myself stuff on a bit of a whim and it's turned out to my amazing. I got the stihl electric shears a few years back for basal and epicormic pruning. £1000 so hardly small change but after 3 years we've clocked up nearly 400k cuts with it! Saved some massive repetitive strain injury. I'd say one of the best tools I've ever bought.

Edited by richy_B
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I hate to say it, I bought that chainsaw sharpener. All you do is strap it on and start it up and it self sharpens! What they forgot to say is it also explodes into pieces. 🤣

Tried a cheapy one years back and soon gave up on it. Frame wasn't strong enough and things kept working loose.

I use a little air die grinder and a dremmel type bit for all my large 3/8 stuff and find its a good trade off between finish and effort.  I run a 25" on my 500 and a 36" on my old ms650. Get through the stones pretty quick, maybe 2 or 3 sharpens but they are cheap enough.

I think I got 4 x 4 packs for £22 with delivery.  

Only used a Tormek for regular woodworking tools but it was painfully slow. They have to run slow as they would spray water everywhere. When doing my training the workshop had horizontal grinder called a Sharpenset that could have quite a course stone for grinding and might be good for grinder blades. Seems they are still going but the website looks like it dates from the 90s haha. 

OK forget that. When looking for the Sharpenset page I found this which looks way better for the job 

WWW.SCOSARG.COM

An entry lefel planer knife grinder: manual movement but suitable for users who wish to sharpen their own knives in the...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Only used a Tormek for regular woodworking tools but it was painfully slow. They have to run slow as they would spray water everywhere. When doing my training the workshop had horizontal grinder called a Sharpenset that could have quite a course stone for grinding and might be good for grinder blades. Seems they are still going but the website looks like it dates from the 90s haha. 

OK forget that. When looking for the Sharpenset page I found this which looks way better for the job 

WWW.SCOSARG.COM

An entry lefel planer knife grinder: manual movement but suitable for users who wish to sharpen their own knives in the...

That's not a ridiculous price either. I thought at first glance it would be thousands. 

On 03/01/2021 at 11:56, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

Aye, I ended up with a £50 small grinder and I must say its fantastic. Used to fiddle about with a file but not anymore. My next step will be a roll of chainsaw chain so I can make up my own chains. I have 6 saws now, so my idea is to take 3 saws and a few chains with me on a tree job. Can't believe folk still use files but must be good at it.

I hand file all the time, once you get set up and get good you can go at it like a fiddlers elbow. Recently learned how to square file with the double chisel file, I mostly cut syc and larch, and square flys thru them. There is a knack to it and I killed a couple of chains learning it !

• Like 2