Fresh welder... What to get?

swinny

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

There is no issues with it being a cracking welder but i actually read what is posted and reply accordingly. I think everyone would like the best possible kit in what ever job they do but cost is the deciding factor ok mr rata a tat tat 

A grand times its service life of possibly twenty years is quite cheap.Mine is six years old and has probably saved me twenty grand in down time or repair.

I welded a hydraulic motor to a CH260 in the middle of a multi day crane job.If the Valtra had gone down if would have cost a fortune.

I have been welding for 30 years,cheap stick welders are shite in comparison to a decent mig and half as versatile.

• Like 3

Transformer welders are more reliable than inverter, but they're big and heavy. If its staying in the workshop then look at the Oxford range of migs. The 180amp one is under £500 and its quality stuff.  I'm about to get the 240 amp one I think.

Chris before you go buying a welder check out the supply, that 32amp socket may well be ok but if it’s on the end of the line in a farm building it may well be shy of a said amps. Quickest way to knob a welder is short change it of amps, if it’s down on power it may be worth looking at some of the mobile engine driven welders instead, you can always add a wire feed unit to one of these so you have the choice then of mig or stick. 

Bob

• Like 2

Chris before you go buying a welder check out the supply, that 32amp socket may well be ok but if it’s on the end of the line in a farm building it may well be shy of a said amps. Quickest way to knob a welder is short change it of amps, if it’s down on power it may be worth looking at some of the mobile engine driven welders instead, you can always add a wire feed unit to one of these so you have the choice then of mig or stick. 

Bob

This Chris, (well put Bob) as i said earlier regards my cable i fit to my garage, mine is 6mm armoured and has 32amp consumer fitted, sparky did all my calcs for me from info i gave him regards welder and log splitter. I also had to up my plug socket breaker from a A16 to C20 amp due to the initial start up load from log splitter motor, just something else you might want to think of also thats all. Breakers were about £2.50 to buy from Oldfield.

23 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

Good point made there Bob, other thing to consider is can you get machinery near weld in first place if not longer leads or big extension lead needed. I ve got a 200amp petrol Mosa in shed and have 10m leads to reach outside on site welds run grinder drills, have even ran house on it when we had no power for 4 days do to storm made it grunt when emersion water heater was on and someone switched kettle on as well. 

32 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

That socket is in my personal garage. That wire runs maybe 18m through house down to rcb and on its own fuse /rcb. Our house is the first of the row to get electricity. 

2 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Good point made there Bob, other thing to consider is can you get machinery near weld in first place if not longer leads or big extension lead needed. I ve got a 200amp petrol Mosa in shed and have 10m leads to reach outside on site welds run grinder drills, have even ran house on it when we had no power for 4 days do to storm made it grunt when emersion water heater was on and someone switched kettle on as well. 

Should be ok on that front as welder wouldn't be more than 10' max away from the socket... Mostly just wheeled around in the vacintiy of the plug socket. Then stored back away

I bought one of these.

kemppi-minarcmig-evo-200-240-volt-148-p.png?v=1 WWW.UNITEDWELDING.CO.UK
Why buy Precise weld quality and arc ignition 200 or 170 A of MIG...  
It was pricey but it's all the welder an Arborist is likely to need.

Buy once,cry once.Its paid for itself several times over.It will weld well enough running off a small generator so that you can repair something in the field.

What generator are you using Mike?