Charnwood Downdraft fix with external air vent.

11 hours ago, Gtflash said:

@openspaceman

I feel a direct vent might give the stove it’s own balanced system and help it.  Is there any disadvantage to direct air supply??  I’ve Googled loads and not really found any. 

Ours is a closed combustion system. Work fine. I have read that because you are drawing in cold air instead of air at room temp secondry combustion is harder to reach but cant see 20C can make a lot  of difference. The only times I have had a slight problem is when we get a gale from the east (the way the air intake faces) it can be tricky to light but nothing like the problems you are having. 

I would extent your flue higher above the ridge as well as looks very low. 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 07:22, topchippyles said:

Your pipe is not high enough above the ridge line and that is the hetas regulations which is a minimum of 1 meter  . Had the same problem as i have a very steep pitched roof and extended the flue and fitted a H cowl problem solved. Look on the hetas website and it will show you the diagram and spec sheets. 

. Watch where the smoke comes out of the cowl and once out does it get up and away or fall below the roof.

The removable plate above the fire may not be seated correctly but take it out and light some paper and cardboard in the firebox to see if it pulls better.Also make sure the cap at the bottom of the flue “y” box is well sealed.. you could light some paper under there to see if pulls the flame / smoke up and out the top but shut stove door and vents beforehand...

Edited by slim reaper
Clarity

Once it's hot and running you should not be able to see any smoke.

I'm a bit paranoid about this as I have fussy neighbours and they were the main reason I changed to a modern stove, and I'm glad I did because it is a lot cleaner burning.

I always look to see if there is smoke when going out or coming in.

I still have an issue burning holly cleanly.

We all want as little smoke as  possible but the cleanest burning stove can produce  smoke especially after first lighting and useful for diagnostic purposes.

Those two stoves in my chimney vid were a prime example as they burn superbly clean under normal circumstances.

Edited by slim reaper

5 hours ago, slim reaper said:

Those two stoves in my chimney vid were a prime example as they burn superbly clean under normal circumstances.

Yes I just watched those, I was aware those H cowls where for windy conditions and prevented heavy rain getting into the chimney but have no experience of them, shame they are so ugly. It's definitely an easy enough step to solving the problem

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes I just watched those, I was aware those H cowls where for windy conditions and prevented heavy rain getting into the chimney but have no experience of them, shame they are so ugly. It's definitely an easy enough step to solving the problem

Its not like your sitting outside looking at it (ugly) Sit inside by the burner 

Sorry for the darkness.  Works been dragging on this week.  Some dusk pictures and hopefully a video of it just starting up on kindling.  Didn’t want to light tonight firelighters started going out, but I caught it before it suffocated itself and the opened window, and away she went.  Running lovely now.  

We only have one extractor fan downstairs, often bathroom upstairs has a window open and one of the teenagers rooms.  Although it still behaves the same with all those things off and shut. 

I have been looking for other sources of negative pressure. I had an old gas fire and it went into a class flue (in the breeze block). It exits on a ridge tile.  I was worried about damp forming so left ridge tile and piping in place and fitted a hit and miss vent to the bottom of old flue, which is right behind log burner.  I leave it closed but open it from time to time to circulate some air.  I wonder if this is causing negative pressure.  It seems to feel like a positive draft into room.  

WWW.DROPBOX.COM

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them...

E722E5BE-F8B6-4D7C-8D97-3C7FA71E0FFB.jpeg

10709094-0CF0-4DDF-B9DE-1B66E5E12D7C.jpeg

6F0F67BE-6A04-4BA7-BDA1-5A82905A064A.jpeg

52143DC3-7362-42FF-8DE2-9661C9A7DF46.jpeg