Advice sought re tree stump

hourbefore

Question

Advice sought re messy tree - photos linked

This tree is at least thirty years old and I believe is a Sycamore. It has what I think are called codominant stems.

A few months ago, one large sub-trunk or stem was sawed off. At the same time, the tree was ‘crowned’. It has done well since then, at least, nothing has fallen off or visibly changed about it. This pruning happened in mid-autumn and it’s now midwinter.

The sawn-off trunk stump is pretty big; nearly a meter tall.

My question regarding this stump is -  could it be reduced in height or even made flush with the ground?

the first photo showing the tree from a distance also features a palm tree - please ignore the palm tree, tree I am talking about is indicated by red arrow.

Thanks to anybody who takes a look

IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

9 answers to this question

5 hours ago, hourbefore said:

Advice sought re messy tree - photos linked

This tree is at least thirty years old and I believe is a Sycamore. It has what I think are called codominant stems.

A few months ago, one large sub-trunk or stem was sawed off. At the same time, the tree was ‘crowned’. It has done well since then, at least, nothing has fallen off or visibly changed about it. This pruning happened in mid-autumn and it’s now midwinter.

The sawn-off trunk stump is pretty big; nearly a meter tall.

My question regarding this stump is -  could it be reduced in height or even made flush with the ground?

the first photo showing the tree from a distance also features a palm tree - please ignore the palm tree, tree I am talking about is indicated by red arrow.

Thanks to anybody who takes a look

IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Use a mid size chainsaw and cut down the line were the cut of stump meets the rest of the trunk down as far as you can then cut from the bottom upto the first cut you made it won’t look pretty but in time it will weather and you mite get some secondary growth but you can deal with them quite easily.hope that helps.

You could take a slice off the top a few inches down where down to where stump and stem meet but not sure that will achieve much.

Id personally leave it, there's central decay in the leaning stem resting on the stump and the stump looks like its adding some potential support....messing about anymore could add further issues down the road.

• Like 1

The stump could be taken down further just above the ripple bark I would have thought being careful not to cut the stem next to it however the stump is probably providing some support to that decayed stem, the contractor possibly made the cut at that point so as not to cut the remaining stem ... best to leave things as they are in my view.

• Like 2

Have not done anything yet, just made plan with tree surgeon to take some more height off the stump. Decay in other stem present but not too bad, he says. Across the road is a building that’s none too easy on the eyes, it’s good to have screening effect of tree in the summertime so opting to keep it up rather than felling it, messy old thing though it is.