Primary Air Control Not Fully Closed??

The primary air control on my stove which is a dial on the door like many others doesn't fully close but leaves a 1 to 2mm gap the whole way round the dial ... should it be like that??

If not the bolt that feeds through the door that the dial screws onto may just be fractionally too long, there are already a couple of spacers / washers on it, I could easily remove the bolt and add 1 or 2 more which would probably mean it closed fully but not sure of it's been designed / fitted so it shouldn't?

If anybody happens to know would be much appreciated, I was going to e-mail the manufacturer but in these strange times combined with the new year thought it may be a while before I received a reply.

7 hours ago, Witterings said:

The primary air control on my stove which is a dial on the door like many others doesn't fully close but leaves a 1 to 2mm gap the whole way round the dial ... should it be like that??

If not the bolt that feeds through the door that the dial screws onto may just be fractionally too long, there are already a couple of spacers / washers on it, I could easily remove the bolt and add 1 or 2 more which would probably mean it closed fully but not sure of it's been designed / fitted so it shouldn't?

If anybody happens to know would be much appreciated, I was going to e-mail the manufacturer but in these strange times combined with the new year thought it may be a while before I received a reply.

I don't know but could it be set up for for a smokeless zone ?

Hi, I have a lever to control the air supply. When first installed I could not shut the control completely. There was a plate with a M6 bolt restricting it. It was a defra approved stove. As Stubby says, it’s for smokeless zones. Just be careful not to suffocate the fire if you add the washers.

Cheers for the replies ... I'm guessing by closing it completely it'd just reduce air supply / dampen the fire more but bearing in mind I never fully close the secondary anyway. The net result if I did close it off would be I'd have to leave the secondary more open to get the equivalent flame .. is that right??

I think we need to get some of the terms agreed here.

The Primary air (Pa) comes in underneath the grate (on a multifuel), at the bottom on a woodburner.

The Airwash (Aa) comes from the top (often through the door frame) and washes down the glass.

The Secondary (or Tertiary or Cleanburn) air (Sa) comes in behind the back air brick and enters though some holes which are around 2/3rds of the way up the back brick (or on the sides as some do). This air enters via a closed section that often runs down the outside back of the stove and is therefore heated prior to entering the firebox.

The Cleanburn/Tertiary/Secondary (Sa) air is not often controllable when the fire is burning. Its via a fixed aperture that can be varied by a flap that is bolted in position.

Some stoves have separate Pa and Aa controlls, mine has a single 'lever' that when fully open allows air in via the Pa and Aa vents. Pull it to the next notch and it shuts the Pa fully, Aa is fully open, pull it again and it closed the Aa and the Pa. The Sa is fixed and is always letting in air.

Hope that makes sense ?

In short the secondary air (Sa) is not controlable, the lever(s)/Dials alter the Primary Air (Pa) and/or the Airwash (Aa).

Once the firebox is hot enough I close both my Pa and Aa fully, only need to open these if the temp falls (ie I put cold wood in).

Edited by Mik the Miller

In response to the above.

I'm calling the primary air supply as the dial / wheel on the door which allows air to pass through the shaking grate.

The secondary as the lever under the ash lip which regulates the air supplied across the glass window .... as per page 8 clause 2 in the link here

https://morsoe.com/media/com_hikashop/upload/safe/72311200_-_3112-3116-3142_n-en_uk_-_defra_1608915016.pdf

Aha, you have a non DEFRA stove whish doesn't employ the secondary burn. On yours. Primary air is from the bottom and secondary is down the glass (airwash).

Once warm the primary should be closed and the rate of burn controlled by the airwash (your secondary). If both were shut the stove would suffocate and go out so you always need a little coming in from the top. Therefore your are right ""The net result if I did close it off would be I'd have to leave the secondary more open to get the equivalent flame .. is that right?? ""  yes  :)

Edited by Mik the Miller

1 hour ago, Mik the Miller said:

Aha, you have a non DEFRA stove whish doesn't employ the secondary burn. On yours. Primary air is from the bottom and secondary is down the glass (airwash).

Once warm the primary should be closed and the rate of burn controlled by the airwash (your secondary). If both were shut the stove would suffocate and go out so you always need a little coming in from the top. Therefore your are right ""The net result if I did close it off would be I'd have to leave the secondary more open to get the equivalent flame .. is that right?? ""  yes  :)

Thank you for that so no reason I shouldn't add a washer or 2 to fully close it ??

You mentions non Defra though but these 2 links say Defra approved??

MORSOE.COM

WWW.STOVESUPERMARKET.CO.UK

The Morso 3142 Badger is a convector multi fuel / wood burning stove with plain sides. It is equipped with a riddling grate and ashpan, making it easy to remove ash and clean...

28 minutes ago, Stubby said:

A Burley stove is nowhere near as complicated as the above ! 

Nearly went with a Burley but the area we're heating (open plan to another room) thought a convection rather than radiant stove may be better ... probably just marketing BS but mug here fell for it 😄