First fire from logs harvested from trees I planted

spandit

I planted the bulk of my trees in early 2014. The alder in particular grew especially fast and I coppiced a few on 16th of December 2019. They've seasoned nicely and I had my first fire burning them today. Was planning on burning them on Christmas Day but had the remnants of a log stack to get rid of first. One of the stumps was recovering really well but I managed to mow over it with my brush mower and it died, which is a shame. I can't find most of the other stumps.

20210101_132818.thumb.jpg.6e2ffd519d5527b69d2fd20ebbf34a62.jpg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Bustergasket said:

I have a few customers always wanting alder for cooking with, have you seen those portable pizza ovens?

Yes. I think so. I can't claim to be self sufficient yet as what I harvested will be gone by tomorrow but it's a good start

• Like 1

I planted the bulk of my trees in early 2014. The alder in particular grew especially fast and I coppiced a few on 16th of December 2019. They've seasoned nicely and I had my first fire burning them today. Was planning on burning them on Christmas Day but had the remnants of a log stack to get rid of first. One of the stumps was recovering really well but I managed to mow over it with my brush mower and it died, which is a shame. I can't find most of the other stumps.
20210101_132818.thumb.jpg.6e2ffd519d5527b69d2fd20ebbf34a62.jpg

Nice. Did you get any grant for planting ?

Just now, lux said:

Nice. Did you get any grant for planting ?

Not really. I went through the Woodland Trust MOREWoods scheme that gave a substantial discount on the trees and tubes. I've now finished my home grown logs but have more other stuff than I know what to do with thanks to the tip directory on here 🙂

Not really. I went through the Woodland Trust MOREWoods scheme that gave a substantial discount on the trees and tubes. I've now finished my home grown logs but have more other stuff than I know what to do with thanks to the tip directory on here [emoji846]

Was that just through the sales bit in their website. Been looking at that myself for some planting in my woods this winter
  • Like 1

Just now, lux said:

Was that just through the sales bit in their website. Been looking at that myself for some planting in my woods this winter

Yes, think so. I contacted them to enquire and they got back to me - they surveyed the land and came up with a package (that was 3 times what I ended up ordering). It's a 12 year maintenance contract but unless you are just flogging the seedlings on, I don't see how they can check.

That being said, when they were looking to relaunch the scheme a couple of years ago, one of the directors came round here for a tour and then came back the following week with a team from Defra as he was impressed with what I've created.

47 minutes ago, lux said:

I had a tree pack or two from the WLT. No site survey or maintenance requirements or anything, just ordered and paid. (They will give some advice on specific packs too). I was happy with the trees and shelters (and the price), though quite a few of the stakes have rotted off at ground level now - don't seem that good quality.

I though alder was suppose re-coppiced well.?

The  NT mange a small alder coppice and make some charcoal  near Aber Falls.

I have some alder thinking of coppicing to prolong there lifespan/  & for firewood but might be got too mature to coppice sucessfully as over 20yrs old.?

Also read thats alder   not shade tolerant and its in a mixed of mostly ash woodland, thats getting ADB.

Might just try one see it it re-sprouts.

Robinia  suppose to ideal for stakes and more eco but prob expensive & seem hard to find....

Made some tree stakes  out of larch that last well but shame you can't buy them made out of decent durable hardwoods

Edited by Stere

I though alder was suppose re-coppiced well.?

The  NT mange a small alder coppice and make some charcoal  near Aber Falls.

I have some alder thinking of coppicing to prolong there lifespan/  & for firewood but might be got too mature to coppice sucessfully as over 20yrs old.?

Also read thats alder   not shade tolerant and its in a mixed of mostly ash woodland, thats getting ADB.

Might just try one see it it re-sprouts.

Robinia  suppose to ideal for stakes and more eco but prob expensive & seem hard to find....

Made some tree stakes  out of larch that last well but shame you can't buy them made out of decent durable hardwoods

Shouldn’t really need to leave stakes in many years. Once the root system has taken they are probably best left doing there own thing and being able to move.

If you want them to last longer you could leave the stakes stood in a bucket of creosote

The alder should still coppice well and grow back nicely it’s more what to do with large alder sticks. As you mention it’s a decent charcoal wood.
  • Like 1