Meindl Boots

Gnarlyoak

Airstream or Airstream Rock. 

So there is about a £50 difference price wise between these two boots. There is a slight difference between the construction; looks and colour of these new boots over the originals, but has anyone actually switched from one style to the other and can say if the switch to the "Rock" was was better or worse than the original?

Was it an extra £50 well spent or not worth the money?

Must add, that I am looking for a boot that is grippy when in a wet tree on a damp day pishing down with rain, do the "metal granules" hyped in the Airstreams Rock's sole's construction meet the hype of being grippier than those without?

Many thanks in anticipation of your frank views.

Edited by Gnarlyoak

43 minutes ago, Gnarlyoak said:

Airstream or Airstream Rock. 

So there is about a £50 difference price wise between these two boots. There is a slight difference between the construction; looks and colour of these new boots over the originals, but has anyone actually switched from one style to the other and can say if the switch to the "Rock" was was better or worse than the original?

Was it an extra £50 well spent or not worth the money?

Must add, that I am looking for a boot that is grippy when in a wet tree on a damp day pishing down with rain, do the "metal granules" hyped in the Airstreams Rock's sole's construction meet the hype of being grippier than those without?

Many thanks in anticipation of your frank views.

Hi have you had Meindl boots before ? just that i have all ways found them a very tight fit and need to get either a half or full size bigger than any other boots i have bought,

I've had loads of pairs of airstreams and the wood walkers..... Air streams are the dogs danglies.... I wouldn't pay extra for the new fancy ones.... That's what the manufacturers want thinking we like to parade round like on a cat walk looking good haha.

My final disappointment with the air streams was a pair going bolloxed in 6 months if that.... And they're cold. I went back to wood walkers due to the fact you only get 10-12months out of boots usually so why pay more for a pair that's near the same and only lasts the same time!

11 minutes ago, swinny said:

I've had loads of pairs of airstreams and the wood walkers..... Air streams are the dogs danglies.... I wouldn't pay extra for the new fancy ones.... That's what the manufacturers want thinking we like to parade round like on a cat walk looking good haha.

My final disappointment with the air streams was a pair going bolloxed in 6 months if that.... And they're cold. I went back to wood walkers due to the fact you only get 10-12months out of boots usually so why pay more for a pair that's near the same and only lasts the same time!

Nice one. Furrymuff Chris, just the kind of heads up I wanted.

Thanks mate ATB for 2021.

Take care, be good fella 👍🏻

26 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Hi have you had Meindl boots before ? just that i have all ways found them a very tight fit and need to get either a half or full size bigger than any other boots i have bought,

Yes. Thanks spuddog. Usually have to wear two pairs of sock with my current Haix boots, so narrower fit not an issue.

Cheers mate, thanks for asking.

Edit: though obvs "airstream not the Rock" hence reason for query. Is there a difference & is it worth it?

Edited by Gnarlyoak

I first had the Airstreams which I think held up very well, if I had payed more attention to  the soles wear I probably could have re-soled(?) them and used them for another 1 or 2 years, now I had to scrap them after about 2.5 years which is really good in my opinion! 

I then bought the Airstream Rock and liked them a lot - looks better, feels a little narrower/less clunky but didn't hold up as well as the Airstreams at all, a little less than 1.5 years which is ok but made me go back to the "non-rock" again. 

1 hour ago, Gnarlyoak said:

Yes. Thanks spuddog. Usually have to wear two pairs of sock with my current Haix boots, so narrower fit not an issue.

Cheers mate, thanks for asking.

Edit: though obvs "airstream not the Rock" hence reason for query. Is there a difference & is it worth it?

Not had Airstreams i have only ever had the woodwalkers which last me for about 5-6 yrs a pair but we are only on the woodland floor so no concreate or tarmac to wear the soles,

I've had many pairs of airstream and decided to give the rocks a go. Only been wearing them 2-3 months but first impressions very good. Feet don't seem to get as cold as in the originals and the grip seems to be better on slippy surfaces. The real test will be how long they last. I usually get 12-18 months out of the original airstreams before the sole has completely worn through and my toes coming out the bottom

Switched to Andrews
Best boots I’ve had. A lot of it surely comes down to which you find most comfy.
Boots never last long climbing. All that wedging you’re boot into a union or fork to get a good work position beats the hell out of them.