Bona fida peer reviewed new harness on the job field tested recommendations.

Gnarlyoak

Soooooo.....

Looking to replace my Skylotec Kolibri climbing harness. This has been my harness of choice for last 10 years, I've had 2, 2nd due for retirement roundabouts now. And the new replacement harness will probably be the last and final harness to end my climbing career on.

As per, the online searches throws up the usual bewildering plethora of options so vicariously looking for recent upto date anecdotal recommendations from fellow climbers based on their personal purchases or preferences within the last 6 months on the following listed options unless you can make a compelling argument for something different.

Based on my current investigations/searches/browsings/musings et al, I'm currently looking at the following list of potential candidates:- Notch Sentinel; Skylotec Ignite or possibly the Simarghu Fire!?!?

Struggling a little bit with the idea that the bridge seems to have decidedly moved from a wide strip of fabric with a sliding D ring to a piece of rope with a sliding O ring. But I guess that's progress, eh? And the rope appears more often than not to be attached to the thigh loops rather than at the hip point!?!? Does this make a significant difference? Better or worse?

Ideally looking for opinions on the harnesses mentioned above, rather than a generic which harness should I get, based on the individual predilections and preferences of the Arbtalk massive!! Now before the inevitable Tree Motion; Tree motion; Tree motion, mantra from the TM "twatterati" that usually follows such requests for recommendations for a new harness, please be aware that I did once try, albeit quite a few years ago, a TM and personally thought it was a lot of faff for the money. But in honesty & fairness, the trial barely lasted a morning, let alone a day. So if you are going to beat the drum & bleat on about a TM in response to this post, you've really got to sell it to me. No, but I mean REALLY REALLY sell it to me! Before there is the remotest sniff of me spunking my hard earned on such a device !

Please bear in mind that the harness is for an old school climber in the twilight of their years, riddled with arthritis, looking to complete their daily routine in as much comfort and style rather than speed and productivity! Before stiffly marching away and falling to pain filled bits & pieces out of sight of my colleagues in the privacy of my van. Base your recommendations ideally on what made you feel you were most capable of accomplishing your task without feeling overtly fatigued; pained or weary at the end of the day ....or alternatively, the climbing harness equivalent of what type of slippers you'd get your granddad !! .🤪

Age is not just a number, its a buggering bitch!!

Many thanks. And may I wish all to stay safe & have a prosperous New Year.

Kind regards.

Gnarloak

• Like 1

Haven't really read through all the blurb their Rick lol 

A friend of mine had the simarghu and has replaced it fairly recently, I know he had issues with stitches and some other bits so knocked that on the head.

I've been using a tree Austria 3.2 for the last few years..... I know it's not in your selection but in fairness most harnesses are near the same but slightly different.

I came from a full fat tm then to a horrible shitty lightweight TM... Horrible that second one was! Then the tree Austria. Tree Austria was OK I thought at first, but only now realise how restrictive it is in movement and your hips being able to move about with having a flat rectangle strap bridge..... I consider rope and 0 ring to be a lot better..... Better still a rope and a swivel. 

One loler the tester failed the bridge due to the ring wearing away a bit of stitch on the bottom of the Austria bridge. And it's on its way again. The buckles on mine are shite and the clasps have been sticking and leg loops coming undone etc.

It won't help answer your question but I'm going to go for the std TM and then add the swivel like I used to climb on years ago. This should give a lot more freer movement. 

Good luck 🤞

can you not go to an arb shop and try some on??? what suits one may not another.

At honey brothers you can try them out from a climbing line so you get a decent idea. Other shops may well do this. Essential I’d say. Climbing in a harness you don’t like will be a miserable waste of money.
Fit is crucial. I can’t get on with tree motion, just doesn’t suit
Skylotech for me.
Both great harnesses just one fits the other doesn’t.

Not sure if Covid is affecting the ability to test in store so call ahead. I’m sure shops will do what they can to assist given the circumstances

I am in a similar position of not knowing what to replace my Kolibri with. I love the high and wide back support & large side D's.

All harnesses are becoming more lightweight, generic and TMish it seems - perhaps driven by an attempt to complete, but the lack of real variation will stifle future development in my opinion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlos said:

can you not go to an arb shop and try some on??? what suits one may not another.

Not really Carlos. Haven't really got any arb suppliers in my neck of the woods. Closest would be Liverpool, which isn't really that far, but I'm in a Tier 4 Covid area so restrictions on unnecessary travel apply.

The other complication is that the retailer in Liverpool only has 1 of my choices in stock, and the other 2 choices they don't stock at all.

You are right of course, try before you buy would be preferable but time, distance & pandemics seem to be making life a tad tricky mate.

6 hours ago, lux said:

At honey brothers you can try them out from a climbing line so you get a decent idea. Other shops may well do this. Essential I’d say. Climbing in a harness you don’t like will be a miserable waste of money.
Fit is crucial. I can’t get on with tree motion, just doesn’t suit
Skylotech for me.
Both great harnesses just one fits the other doesn’t.

Not sure if Covid is affecting the ability to test in store so call ahead. I’m sure shops will do what they can to assist given the circumstances

Totally agree with all the points you have made.

I'd hate to make a costly error, but It's just really not feasible at the moment to travel about the country on a try before you buy scouting mission. Couldn't try a jumper on for size in Next the other week before buying it due to Covid, can see how it might also be a problem bouncing around in half a dozen harnesses in an arb store!

And yeah, my gut tells me Skylotech. Always found the Kolibri comfy as, but the new design of the Ignite is a bit of a departure from that. So hence my post to try and get some real world feedback to help shape my perspective. 

1 hour ago, Pete Mctree said:

I am in a similar position of not knowing what to replace my Kolibri with. I love the high and wide back support & large side D's.

All harnesses are becoming more lightweight, generic and TMish it seems - perhaps driven by an attempt to complete, but the lack of real variation will stifle future development in my opinion.

Spot on mate. I've got slightly compressed L3 & L4 vertebrae in my lower back and the big wide back support on my Kolibri is a godsend. Many moons ago when I climbed in a Komet Butterfly it was torture. So a big back pad is a must really.

• Like 1