Jump to content
StihlGreen

500i bar length - 36" too big??

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Moose McAlpine said:

 

Saw one recently and it was an MS200T with a 20" bar. Ugh.. ridiculous. 🙄

..... You bought it 😉 didnt you  😊 K

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Khriss said:

..... You bought it 😉 didnt you  😊 K

 

As if. I only have Hooskies, you know that.

 

T540XP with a 20 though.. 🤔

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

 

As if. I only have Hooskies, you know that.

 

T540XP with a 20 though.. 🤔

Skip chain or go home 😉  K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AHPP said:


Interested to know your rationale for that, your uses etc? Just seems a bit similar. If I already had a 28, I’d want a 36. Like the op has a 20 so a 30 makes sense in my eyes.

I have just the one ground saw and from how it cuts with a 28 I think a 32 would be the max it would run. I don’t think it will run a 36 all that well. The 500 bridges a big gap. I have a 20 inch and 28 inch and I do cut wood bigger than 28 reasonably often to warrant another bar

 

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

As with most of this stuff ,  its because he can . 😊

This also! I can and why not? 
 

This has made me think about a 36 instead of a 32 though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AHPP said:


Interested to know your rationale for that, your uses etc? Just seems a bit similar. If I already had a 28, I’d want a 36. Like the op has a 20 so a 30 makes sense in my eyes.

Tbh if I could go back I wouldn’t have bought the 28 and I would have just got a 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose McAlpine said:

 

Saw one recently and it was an MS200T with a 20" bar. Ugh.. ridiculous. 🙄

I seen that one, its just OTT to me,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 12:18, Rob D said:

30" and full skip is prob the safer bet.

Fair enough.👍

 

You should see an order from me shortly then😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:


Did you see the company offering:
Ms170
25” bar
Oversized felling dogs
Full wrap handle
Bark box
Videoed cutting 6” softwood
Absolutely amazing!
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Things like a 170 with 25" bar to cut 6" softwood could only be in America, i dont know what it is over there but they all seem to need to have the biggest saw they can get there hands on but are only cutting small timber for firewood, One guy puts posts on another site and sorry but i have to laugh but he posted some photos of a FS350 pick up loaded with lengh,s of wood ready for splitting, this had took him and his 14yr old son from 9,30 - 3,30 and they were parked next to the stack of timber, but he did say they only had a short lunch break !, looking at what they had done and the shape of them 2 i tend to think the lunch break was from 11 - 3,

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 12:41, MattyF said:

If you go over 28” you will be limited really to skip chain.. that’s not something a lot of dealers have in stock so it’s not like you can wreck a chain and pick one up to finish the job from the shop down the road... there isn’t much a 28” bar won’t cut and the shorter the bar the easier it is to maintain and keep sharp and cut with to manoeuvre and fell a large tree, and given the state of a lot of bigger trees especially ash it would be safer to use bore cuts any way.. using a 48” bar on a stump yesterday I had forgot what a pita big bars are and also there is a bit of skill to using them effectively so swapped back to the 500i on a 28” just because it’s that much easier.. big bars for me only have one place really and that’s on a chainsaw mill.

That's a fair point, I try and keep at least one fresh chain in the truck, aswell as whatever i am going to be using that day.....and then only touch the fresh one as a last resort. 

 

Definitely useful to be able to grab a chain from a dealer when you are stuck though🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Things like a 170 with 25" bar to cut 6" softwood could only be in America, i dont know what it is over there but they all seem to need to have the biggest saw they can get there hands on but are only cutting small timber for firewood, One guy puts posts on another site and sorry but i have to laugh but he posted some photos of a FS350 pick up loaded with lengh,s of wood ready for splitting, this had took him and his 14yr old son from 9,30 - 3,30 and they were parked next to the stack of timber, but he did say they only had a short lunch break !, looking at what they had done and the shape of them 2 i tend to think the lunch break was from 11 - 3,

You have to remember that the nearest McDonald's might have been an hour's drive away😋

I'm assuming their ppe also lives up to the American stereotype....trainers, baseball cap (with invisible ear defenders) and a pair of shorts....maybe jeans if it is winter🙃

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.