500i bar length - 36" too big??

StihlGreen

I'm gonna add to this thread “it’s horses for courses”  there’s always more than one way to do a job.  Just because someone does it differently it don’t make it wrong.

There’s some comments that make me scratch my head .  The 20” bar on a 200t .. it was done for a reason  it was for fun and an experiment and it’s also 1/4 not 3/8 lopro . And it’s ported by rich aka the “saw king” so If you were up pine trees blocking down and it ment you could carryon using the 200 for a bit longer.[emoji106]  and he does say it’s not for everyone [emoji6] and he says some egghead will hate it in the vid...[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

and the length of bars on some other saws, some seem to forget oilers can be modified.  Or a high output can be brought.   some guys run lopro on long bars, ie smaller tooth = less drag and or add skip to the equation.

btw those invisible ear muffs you see peeps wearing are more than likely to be ear plugs somewhere in there, not always thou [emoji849]

anyway that’s my view, ymmv[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I still can’t find the denim chainsaw trousers?
Which manufacturer?
🤷🏽‍♂️[emoji6][emoji106]

20 hours ago, wyk said:

I dunno, I wouldn't think my productivity would increase by adding in a teenager in to the mix I had to look after.

My take is run a 28 if it's stock, 32 if it's ported. I assume it's mainly for stumping and large cross cuts, so dunno if a 500i will oil a 36inch bar well enough there. Good luck. I am not fond of using a saw with anything more than a 32inch light bar on it, tho.

I'm an American who used to live in the Pacific Northwest - mostly Oregon and Washington state. I've worked in logging there and forestry, and was the forester on a ranch in Oregon. I have also worked in the UK and am the forester on a large estate in Waterford, Ireland. I mostly keep a low profile here, and I understand it's a good time making fun of the yanks and painting them with one big brush, but when it comes to logging and forestry, the US doesn't mess about.

In the fast growing wood in the PNW, you can run longer bars, even in the maple there. It's not just that, but many local saw shops carry skip chain to help facilitate longer bars for better reach and to more easily cut the bigger trees that are there. My local shop in Oregon only carried 3/8 skip chain and nothing else. Unless you asked for different, you also got square chisel chain.

28inch bars are the norm there on 70cc saws. Some folks have a spare 20inch for firewood.

If they are professionals, they would rarely have a stock saw. Most are modified, some quite a lot.

By law in Canada(and it also defaults to saws for sale in logging in the States), all large saws used for logging or forestry must have large bucking spikes and full wrap handles. Thus, it is actually hard to find a 70cc+ saw without a full wrap and big spikes in the region.

One of the timber cruisers I worked with in Washington always had a ported 372XP with a 32 bar in his truck left over from his logging days. It made short work of the typical wood that would fall across our trails or roads. One of which was a 5 foot wide Douglas Fir after a storm.

My logging saw, a ported 385xp with an Oregon light weight 32 inch bar and relatively rare full comp square chain(I paid $250 used for this saw and ported and rebuilt it for work):

133818921.5n7uVAZJ.jpg

Some of our lengths weren't right, so I had to follow one of our trucks to the mill one day...

145798424.zz7PuD23.jpg

On the ranch in Oregon, my firewood could be this:

130491325.6PLfwmJU.jpg

(That's a 24 inch bar on an MS361 with skip square chain)

Or this, depending on the day:

131347393.gichA0sf.jpg

View from that ranch on a good day:

129850610.bzw6pxua.jpg

If you go to the coast, it looks more like this:

128532867.cYxs9XrL.jpg

The jeep I used(for work and sleep) when up in the logging roads - 1980 Ford F150 Bronco, 5.8litre V8, dual locking diffs, 32inch tires, and 8mpg average.

145798552.aLFj4A6L.jpg

Interesting stuff. 

I think the only reason I make fun of the yanks is because I'm jealous of them😋....and their massive trees....hope nobody takes it personally.

For some reason I can't see your pictures....but that bronco sounds like fun😁

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

More than capable  engine power with the whole bar in some beech for the 500i Standard chain and saw.

Not really much difference to the 661 in cutting time. 20230224_103125.thumb.jpg.d98828b131e0e92e8d9ac5be9f818fb1.jpg

I reckon if the 661 only comes out occasionally then I'd opt for a 500i with a bigger bar available for when needed.

If it's frequently used I'd say the 661 is a safer option to be sure it will last.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 19:19, spuddog0507 said:

Stateside they would run a 42" bar on a MS170 but it would have to be ported of course, the big thing now across the pond is a Barkbox exhaust mod and some of the crap i have read about this item and the improvements it makes to a saw, i cant believe the manufactures have not thought of it ?, 20% increase in power on my 20yr old 036 running a 30" bar and she rips,,,,,, thats the type of comment i have been reading,

Barkboxes and the like would fail noise and exhaust emissions...that why they dont come as stock....and the usa and in particular california are far more tougher on them than europe.....and emissions in europe are tough. Every two in 10 2 strokes we sell will need the fuel mix 'tweaking' during the pdi process...thats why we simply refuse to sell machines in a box anymore

I would surmise that if an accident were to occur, that the HSE would investigate training, safe working practice and equipment maintenance rather than looking to see if the machine may be modified and they would probably not have any ideas on how a chainsaw could be modified.

I am out of the game now but using a modified saw is very much up to the owner.

• Like 1