500i bar length - 36" too big??

StihlGreen

5 hours ago, AHPP said:

Interested to know your rationale for that, your uses etc? Just seems a bit similar. If I already had a 28, I’d want a 36. Like the op has a 20 so a 30 makes sense in my eyes.

I have just the one ground saw and from how it cuts with a 28 I think a 32 would be the max it would run. I don’t think it will run a 36 all that well. The 500 bridges a big gap. I have a 20 inch and 28 inch and I do cut wood bigger than 28 reasonably often to warrant another bar

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

As with most of this stuff ,  its because he can . 😊

This also! I can and why not? 

This has made me think about a 36 instead of a 32 though 

5 hours ago, AHPP said:

Interested to know your rationale for that, your uses etc? Just seems a bit similar. If I already had a 28, I’d want a 36. Like the op has a 20 so a 30 makes sense in my eyes.

Tbh if I could go back I wouldn’t have bought the 28 and I would have just got a 30

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Did you see the company offering:
Ms170
25” bar
Oversized felling dogs
Full wrap handle
Bark box
Videoed cutting 6” softwood
Absolutely amazing!
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Things like a 170 with 25" bar to cut 6" softwood could only be in America, i dont know what it is over there but they all seem to need to have the biggest saw they can get there hands on but are only cutting small timber for firewood, One guy puts posts on another site and sorry but i have to laugh but he posted some photos of a FS350 pick up loaded with lengh,s of wood ready for splitting, this had took him and his 14yr old son from 9,30 - 3,30 and they were parked next to the stack of timber, but he did say they only had a short lunch break !, looking at what they had done and the shape of them 2 i tend to think the lunch break was from 11 - 3,

• Haha 1

On 01/01/2021 at 12:41, MattyF said:

If you go over 28” you will be limited really to skip chain.. that’s not something a lot of dealers have in stock so it’s not like you can wreck a chain and pick one up to finish the job from the shop down the road... there isn’t much a 28” bar won’t cut and the shorter the bar the easier it is to maintain and keep sharp and cut with to manoeuvre and fell a large tree, and given the state of a lot of bigger trees especially ash it would be safer to use bore cuts any way.. using a 48” bar on a stump yesterday I had forgot what a pita big bars are and also there is a bit of skill to using them effectively so swapped back to the 500i on a 28” just because it’s that much easier.. big bars for me only have one place really and that’s on a chainsaw mill.

That's a fair point, I try and keep at least one fresh chain in the truck, aswell as whatever i am going to be using that day.....and then only touch the fresh one as a last resort. 

Definitely useful to be able to grab a chain from a dealer when you are stuck though🙂

4 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Things like a 170 with 25" bar to cut 6" softwood could only be in America, i dont know what it is over there but they all seem to need to have the biggest saw they can get there hands on but are only cutting small timber for firewood, One guy puts posts on another site and sorry but i have to laugh but he posted some photos of a FS350 pick up loaded with lengh,s of wood ready for splitting, this had took him and his 14yr old son from 9,30 - 3,30 and they were parked next to the stack of timber, but he did say they only had a short lunch break !, looking at what they had done and the shape of them 2 i tend to think the lunch break was from 11 - 3,

You have to remember that the nearest McDonald's might have been an hour's drive away😋

I'm assuming their ppe also lives up to the American stereotype....trainers, baseball cap (with invisible ear defenders) and a pair of shorts....maybe jeans if it is winter🙃

• Haha 1