Jag S-Type

djbobbins

They are getting a bit long in the tooth now, but I have a hankering for a Jag S-Type.

I have an choice to make to hand back my lease car next summer and buy something instead. I’d have to pay for a hire car on the occasions that I do any business mileage (long story but the S-Type would be too old to be allowed), which would be a bit of a pain in the neck. Mind you, odds are I might not be doing any business travel anyway!!

I’ve seen one today that is sensibly priced, very late model, looks v. straight and clean, good MOT history and (now I’m knocking on a bit!) insurance is about £350 per year fully comp.

WWW.AUTOTRADER.CO.UK

Price: £2,990. Speed sensitive variable PAS, Trip computer, ABS+EBA, Adaptive restraint technology system, Driver/Front Passenger airbags, Driver/front passenger side airbags, DSC - Dynamic Stability Control, Electronic parking brake, Front/rear seatbelt pre-tensioners, Side curtain airbags, Three 3 point rear seatbelts, Traction control, Doors auto-locked on driveaway, Locking wheel nuts, Remote central locking, Thatcham Cat 1 engine immobiliser, Thatcham cat 1 ultrasonic alarm, Automatic headlights, Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors, Front and rear electric windows, Front fog lights, Heated rear window with timer, High level rear brake light, 60/40 asymmetric split folding rear seats, Adjustable front and rear headrests, Auto climate control, Driver and passenger sunvisors with illuminated vanity mirrors, Energy absorbing seat system, Front armrests, Front/rear centre armrests, Isofix rear child seat fastenings, Multi function steering wheel with audio/telephone and voice controls, Reach/rake electric adjustable steering column + entry/exit tilt away, Sport leather theme 8 way/6way electric seats including aluminium fascia, Body coloured pack - S Type, Sports suspension REF:T93CD, Vehicle ref: J707M. Silver, ***VIEWING BY APPOINTMENT - PLEASE CALL*** FOR SALE IS THIS GREAT LOOKING JAGUAR S-TYPE 2.7 S D 4d 206 BHP, THIS CAR IS PRICED TO SELL QUICKLY, FULLY HPI CLEAR, FINANCE IS AVAILABLE ON THIS CAR WITH OVER 90 FINANCE OPTIONS AVAILABLE, VIEWING IS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY, PLEASE CALL TO BOOK A VIEWING, FEATURES INCLUDE: VERY LONG MOT UNTIL 18/12/21, FULL SERVICE HISTORY WITH 12 SERVICE STAMPS, SERVICE PRINTOUTS INCLUDED, 2007 56 REG, VERY GOOD MILEAGE, SPARE KEY, IDEAL FAMILY AUTO, PART EXCHANGE WELCOME - ANY INDEPENDENT INSPECTION WELCOME - ALL MAJOR DEBIT & CREDIT CARDS WELCOME - DELIVERY SERVICE AVAILABLE AT GREAT RATES - CALL TODAY FOR FURTHER INFO, STOCK AVAILABILITY OR TO BOOK A TEST DRIVE - THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST, £2,990

Anyone had one or know someone who has? Old Jags often come with horror stories about bills...

So many modern cars have horror stories attached, mainly because of electrical issues but also not designed with the DIY people etc. I don't think they are a pretty car but well engineered, comfortable and  capable!  Go for it!

I can't say that it's to my taste, but as the others say, if it's something you like, go for it :)

I do love a good car search though - what is your criteria? What is your budget? There are loads of interesting cars at that price point. An original A6 Allroad 2.5tdi is pretty comparable. Mpg is similar, though it's a touch slower. Very comfortable and 4x4 is useful. A W211 Mercedes E-class would have been a contemporary, and very smooth indeed. A Lexus GS is again similar, with Toyota reliability. 

I do totally appreciate the appeal of an old school cruiser. The V10 Touareg I have fits that bill nicely, though it's possibly a bit too brisk to be considered relaxing. Somehow, it's only £255/yr fully comp with business use too :D

Electric problems can be hard to deal with. Battery is in the boot, make sure the battery is good as a lot of the problems are caused by a bad battery. Is it auto or manual gearbox?

There's a fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/stypelovers/

and a forum too.

Auto; I’ve got a dodgy left knee and driving a manual makes it ache! I will have a look at the group, although ‘er indoors has pointed out that a saloon car isn’t very dog-friendly - can’t put a dog crate in the boot!!
  • Like 1

I can't say that it's to my taste, but as the others say, if it's something you like, go for it [emoji4]

I do love a good car search though - what is your criteria? What is your budget? There are loads of interesting cars at that price point. An original A6 Allroad 2.5tdi is pretty comparable. Mpg is similar, though it's a touch slower. Very comfortable and 4x4 is useful. A W211 Mercedes E-class would have been a contemporary, and very smooth indeed. A Lexus GS is again similar, with Toyota reliability. 

I do totally appreciate the appeal of an old school cruiser. The V10 Touareg I have fits that bill nicely, though it's possibly a bit too brisk to be considered relaxing. Somehow, it's only £255/yr fully comp with business use too [emoji3]

If I am going to buy something, I’d want to more or less cover the purchase costs, RFL and insurance out of a year’s worth of the amount my take-home pay will go up by, when I opt out of the car scheme. That basically means about three and a half grand, so a smidge under three grand for the car itself, then the remainder (with a bit of rounding) to cover the insurance and tax.

I don’t know what it is about the S-Type; I wasn’t a fan of the retro styling when they came out. But the ones with the body kits I think look smart, plus the 2.6V6 diesel has enough oomph for my tastes (8s to 60mph, over 140mph top speed) and a published fuel economy number of 35mpg, which I reckon would still mean over 30mpg in the real world.

1 minute ago, djbobbins said:

If I am going to buy something, I’d want to more or less cover the purchase costs, RFL and insurance out of a year’s worth of the amount my take-home pay will go up by, when I opt out of the car scheme. That basically means about three and a half grand, so a smidge under three grand for the car itself, then the remainder (with a bit of rounding) to cover the insurance and tax.

I don’t know what it is about the S-Type; I wasn’t a fan of the retro styling when they came out. But the ones with the body kits I think look smart, plus the 2.6V6 diesel has enough oomph for my tastes (8s to 60mph, over 140mph top speed) and a published fuel economy number of 35mpg, which I reckon would still mean over 30mpg in the real world.

... Like a Defender then 😉  thatll do.  K

• Haha 1