Online paperwork

Anouk

9 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I've worked for companies before, they all had different anograms for their safety systems and they all had "near miss" targets to meet each week. A "Near miss" isn't something like a log falling from a tree and skimming someone's back. The safety teams considered it being things from missing stickers on equipment, someone not wearing gloves, a broken bit of PPe, a frey in a rope. Anything that could lead to an accident in any way is what they called a near miss. 

Sounds like the AA. Report a missing sticker as a near miss and get an instant disciplinary for failing to have the correct stickers on your equipment. 🥳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Sounds like the AA. Report a missing sticker as a near miss and get an instant disciplinary for failing to have the correct stickers on your equipment. 🥳

Not talking about the AA here but big companies love to push the just culture. I.e you do the right thing and say how you nearly had an accident and died and they "Justly" take you to a disciplinary for the pleasure. I nearly got cut in half by some hydraulic doors once and I was given a weeks suspension and a disciplinary for it. Wasn't my fault either! 

18 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Not talking about the AA here but big companies love to push the just culture. I.e you do the right thing and say how you nearly had an accident and died and they "Justly" take you to a disciplinary for the pleasure. I nearly got cut in half by some hydraulic doors once and I was given a weeks suspension and a disciplinary for it. Wasn't my fault either! 

Yeah they absolutely do. They manage to wriggle out of any liability by making you do your own risk assessment then if it all goes horribly wrong it's on you as you must've assessed it wrong.

I think my nearest miss was recovering a car off the M25 in a refuge area, uphill just past South Mimms clockwise. As it went up the ramps onto the trailer my winch cable snapped, the car rolled off the ramps and i went running down this refuge area holding the snapped end desperately trying to stop this car hitting the barrier and bouncing into the passing traffic. I did stop it, without incident luckily. If i'd reported it management probably would've gone ballistic and sacked me but the winch cable had no known issue prior to that. After that i always used a 5t breakaway strap attached to the van.

The whole job was "near misses" working on the motorway each day. This was Boxing Day last year, near J16 on a bridge, had the arse end of my van in Lane 1.

20191226_085132.thumb.jpg.f2c629e3de360532fa61e8fd72bf5a6a.jpg

(It wasn't uncommon to work on the hard shoulder and trucks pass so close you could reach out and touch them if you wanted.)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I've worked for companies before, they all had different anograms for their safety systems and they all had "near miss" targets to meet each week. A "Near miss" isn't something like a log falling from a tree and skimming someone's back. The safety teams considered it being things from missing stickers on equipment, someone not wearing gloves, a broken bit of PPe, a frey in a rope. Anything that could lead to an accident in any way is what they called a near miss. 

That is exactly what it is. It is all about spotting potential accidents and injuries before they happen and ensuring better working behaviours. It used to really piss me off hearing people moan about 'elf and safety,  that saw it as some kind of form filling exercise. 

Those same people were quick enough to be filling in forms when there was a bit of compo on offer.

I've been one of those people that was responsible for conducting disciplinaries for those breaking h&s rules (lets have a play fight on the side of a main road and stick in on fb. Look at me, I can drive a bobcat on two wheels etc). And I did so gladly, as I was also the one who had to visit the homes of families of employees who now had less fingers and toes. 

• Like 2

[emoji23] 
Well as the newest member of the team, i guess it's to be expected i get the less exciting tasks. . !
As the newest/least experienced should you be in the position of being responsible for what could basically could make the difference in court should the shit hit the fan....
Do you talk it through as a team before starting so your just filling out and documenting what has been discussed or are you having to take responsibility for what is identified within the R,A ?
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, little_p said:

That is exactly what it is. It is all about spotting potential accidents and injuries before they happen and ensuring better working behaviours. It used to really piss me off hearing people moan about 'elf and safety,  that saw it as some kind of form filling exercise. 

It's fine when the company treats it like that, but many don't.

You're right, a near miss report should be an opportunity to allow extra precautions to prevent an accident. However, many treat it as the person doing the report being in the wrong and give them a disciplinary over it. At least, that's been my experience.

Edited by Moose McAlpine
I can't spell. I can never spell. Why can't i spell???
  • Like 1

I understand that health and safety is important in the workplace, but i feel like there could be a generic risk assessment that covers our work and then if anything happens we fill in accident report forms, like in other industries I've worked in. 

It's overwhelming the amount of forms I've gotta wade through each week, and it's starting to leach the fun out of it. 

Our company does lots of little jobs, and it's quite common for me to be still filling out the RA while they're packing up having finished the job. 😞

27 minutes ago, Anouk said:

I understand that health and safety is important in the workplace, but i feel like there could be a generic risk assessment that covers our work and then if anything happens we fill in accident report forms, like in other industries I've worked in. 

It's overwhelming the amount of forms I've gotta wade through each week, and it's starting to leach the fun out of it. 

Our company does lots of little jobs, and it's quite common for me to be still filling out the RA while they're packing up having finished the job. 😞

Try working in rail or the utilities if you want to know about form filling, however all of ours are now on a tablet and just box ticks with minimal writing and a signature space at the end there are ways to make it easier 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, little_p said:

Those same people were quick enough to be filling in forms when there was a bit of compo on offer.

I've been one of those people that was responsible for conducting disciplinaries for those breaking h&s rules (lets have a play fight on the side of a main road and stick in on fb. Look at me, I can drive a bobcat on two wheels etc). And I did so gladly, as I was also the one who had to visit the homes of families of employees who now had less fingers and toes. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a safer workplace.

I have just found that some companies use the reports to punish people instead of working with them to create a safer workspace and raise awareness. I understand that sometimes you have to deal with gross negligence but I've worked for companies who think that raising awareness of bad practice or a common mistake is done by making an example of people. All that does is create a bad work environment where mistakes and issues are covered up in fear of the results. One company went heavily down the punishment route and their accident report rate dropped by 75%, the same amount of accidents/near misses were happening but they were covered up, hidden and not reported in fear of recourse. That leads to a dangerous workplace.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Yea, those Tube trains are lethal  😆 K

(   ' mineadoooooores'  !!)