Online paperwork

Anouk

10 minutes ago, Anouk said:

On a good day, when the sun's shining and i get to climb, it's the best job ever. But those days seem to be rare. And now it's snowing and not sure I'm looking forward to the next few months 😱

Invest in good outdoor work clothes, buy a few pairs of gloves and always dry them every night.

You can learn just watching the climber as well as just doing, it’s only been a few months, it takes time.

Cant help you with the paperwork as I don’t do any.

Good luck anyway!

Edited by Mick Dempsey

2 minutes ago, Anouk said:

Thanks mate 👍

If this isn't industry standard as i suspected, i might look around for a position with less paperwork!

Ohh it is. Try Rail  🙄  but most of it is how keen yr employer  is to meet all the targets the AA may have set. HAVS i think is pointless but it is still a requirement.  One company who shall remain  nameless was mad on HAVS, but still lost an employees hands in a woodchipper  (sic)  so you takes yr choice really.  K

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Khriss said:

Ohh it is. Try Rail  🙄  but most of it is how keen yr employer  is to meet all the targets the AA may have set. HAVS i think is pointless but it is still a requirement.  One company who shall remain  nameless was mad on HAVS, but still lost an employees hands in a woodchipper  (sic)  so you takes yr choice really.  K

To clarify, any "targets the AA may have set" are based on regulatory requirements or good industry practice etc. not something we just think is a good idea.

Whilst many employers do, because of the exposure elements of the Vibration Risk Assessment, you can utilise industry averages (produced by Stihl, FC etc.) rather than 'logging hours', whihc are often over exaggerated, and combine this with an effective program of health surveillance (there have been many instances of HAVS over recent years with employers being fined very, very large sums of money...and employees, including myself, suffering long term.)

'Near Misses' - reporting of, should be viewed positively as a means of identifying potential accidents / incidents, "lessons learned" etc.

...just the AA perspective.   

Thanks all..

Paul

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anouk said:

yep, it's HSE craziness for sure. 

I asked what if i don't have any near misses, and was told i have to put 2 in a week. Someone walking past could've got hit by a falling branch, i could've fallen over a banana skin, the chainsaw could've fallen apart in my hand. . .It's like creative writing in English class all over again.

Who told you that? And were those the examples that they gave?

14 minutes ago, little_p said:

Who told you that? And were those the examples that they gave?

I've worked for companies before, they all had different anograms for their safety systems and they all had "near miss" targets to meet each week. A "Near miss" isn't something like a log falling from a tree and skimming someone's back. The safety teams considered it being things from missing stickers on equipment, someone not wearing gloves, a broken bit of PPe, a frey in a rope. Anything that could lead to an accident in any way is what they called a near miss. 

• Like 1