Advice please: at a crossroads,,,

Andrew L

Definitely agree with Rough. Slow down a bit. I was working Monday to Saturday on 12 hour shifts before I committed to arb! I had to deal with tonnes of paperwork and barely being around at home ruined my home life too. Set yourself a "days" work. If you finish climbing/working at say 4 then set a finish time of 5:30 and stop work after that, you don't do anything but make mistakes and create stress by burning the candle at both ends. Obviously if you have stuff that HAS to be done then you can't but it at least lets you try to have a work day

Bad luck with the groundie. It's hard to judge people before you're in knee deep. Where are you based? Lot's of guys on here who want work! 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

I am in Sevenoaks area.

It's my youngest daughter's birthday so got to go.

Thanks for all advice: excellent.

The felling near-miss was because I was doing 2 jobs cos of C19.  Fulltime NHS ie 12 hr shifts plus commute as well as the tree jobs.  I never intended to do this, and was hoping it would stop but here we are.  

Groundie? Yup, no real harm done, so lucky but it easily could have been a game-over thing, in so many ways.  Truly hope he gets himself sorted though,,,

Andrew (RGN, RNc, ENP and ex Emergency Planner, so I was expecting the Pandemic, just didn't know when,,, ;) 

Nice topic and up to now the usual ones who side track a thread have kept quite (No names) Just one thing going down the 7.5 ton route the wagons are cheap as chips but the weekly/6 weekly checks are a pain but above all i found the mot/plating side can get very costly and needs to be taken to a vosa mot approved garage.If you do decide to go down that route look for a good local place who can undertake any repairs required on short notice. Roll on roll off (hook loader) good trucks.

Update:  Youngest birthday has gone very well, she is v happy.

I have engaged a bookkeeper who will pick up my receipts on 2/1/21.

My work site landlord is happy for me to apply for a Op licence: I am guessing I should be applying for a restricted licence?

Planning to do a leaflet drop in my road at least after checking costs before putting out the advert in the local paper.  I know almost everyone on my lane, so I don't think there will be objections,,,

Meanwhile, struggling with a quote for 140 Lombardy Poplars to be reduced by 50%.  Height varies from 50-80ft, tree condition variable. Square plot, road and BT line down one side, farm access and buildings down 2 other and a footpath on the last.  Have identified 3 local chip sites, and made contact with the local council re TPO.  Defo no CA etc.  

Back to the hospital tomorrow, hoping for a quiet day,,,

A

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

Update:  Youngest birthday has gone very well, she is v happy.

I have engaged a bookkeeper who will pick up my receipts on 2/1/21.

My work site landlord is happy for me to apply for a Op licence: I am guessing I should be applying for a restricted licence?

Planning to do a leaflet drop in my road at least after checking costs before putting out the advert in the local paper.  I know almost everyone on my lane, so I don't think there will be objections,,,

Meanwhile, struggling with a quote for 140 Lombardy Poplars to be reduced by 50%.  Height varies from 50-80ft, tree condition variable. Square plot, road and BT line down one side, farm access and buildings down 2 other and a footpath on the last.  Have identified 3 local chip sites, and made contact with the local council re TPO.  Defo no CA etc.  

Back to the hospital tomorrow, hoping for a quiet day,,,

A

Sounds like you go to work (nhs) for a rest day :banghead:

• Haha 1

With regards to quoting the pops. With any big job just break it down - the first 3 trees will take me a day, next 2 is a day and so on. Any job that goes over a week give your self an extra day to sharpen and clear up. 

also with a big job look at your local bigger set ups with bigger kit like timber trailer/loader and contracting them in, they can make you more than they cost or they at least will save your back and get you on to the next job sooner.

Also pops can shatter when you smash the tops out so allow good time to clear up. 

the rest of your question has been covered, slow down and set some “opening” hours and try to stick to them.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...