Phytophthora ramorum

j.smith84

Can any one assist me on the the domestic uk legislation on the must, do's and dont's of phytophthora ramorum?
Thanks 

You need a movement licence to transport infected timber. Get it from the FC

You can still sell / use the timber but it has to be taken to a mill with a processing licence to deal with the infected timber appropriately.

All the info should be onFC websites, I forget the proper terms now but think under diseases pages.

1 exception will be sw Scotland where they have given up on licences in the diseased zone as long as timber stays within zone.

Think also stopped,/calmed down on larch felling in that area to fell outside the area 

No idea if other areas have been written off.

We felled a lot of infected Larch a few years ago, most of it was felled to waste and just left where it fell to rot away and left to mother nature, over the 4/5 years we was doing this we worked on several sites and as time went on some things changed and some didnt i will tell you what i know if it helps you out,

1,  All sites had to display signs at all public access points stating it was a infected site and the risks involved with the spread of the disease, there was all so signs displayed that where aimed at the public visiting these sites giving advise on how to prevent the spread of the disease like mountain bikes should have the mud removed from the wheels and the rest wiped down, dog walkers should clean there dogs feet, all people should clean walking boots, shoes wellingtons etc,

2, For us working on these sites some of the above applied to us as well as along with some other regulations, we had to brush all sawdust of our clothing before leaving site each night, boots had to be cleaned and we was given a disenfectant spray to spray on soles and leather uppers of our boots, when saws where worked on at home at nights all the debris from the saw when cleaned had to be bagged up, sealed and disposed of correctly.

3, As Drinksloe above said the timber could be used for a few purposes like sawn products and biomass but you had to have a movement licence if you where hauling the timber or a processing licence if you where processing the timber, the infected timber could not be used for firewood purposes straight from site, i always understood it had to be stored on the infected site for 2 years before it could be moved and processed in to firewood, but i think some of these restrictions have been relaxed a little now, 

4, The Rodey side related to Phytophthora i dont know much about as i only went rodey bashing twice and that was twice to many, but Rodeys do harbour the dicease with in there root system,

I hope this helps you out and there would be some information to add to the above from the FC website under the plant health section,

Must admit still doing quite a bit of larch work, most of he proper big private estate woodlands have a lot off larch in them.

Most estate forestry plans have went out the window as there trying to keep on top off the larch.

Must admit when a long time since we put up the bio hazard signs, just the usual forestry warning signs

Be a real tragedy when no larch left in this area, was driving to 1 estate larch job mibbee a month or so ago and was absolutely stunning in the dawn sun all the different colours.

They have 1 or 2 harvesters almost full time on larch.

I think the FC fly over the area in helicopters every August time ( or every 2nd yr) looking for dead larch and then send the letters out to landowners telling them to get them cut if in the control zone

still a fair bit of larch round me with only the odd block being infected, there is some blocks about 2 mile from me that are some decent sized trees like 600-700 DBH but they are on on one hell of a steep banking above a river, i only know of one block that has been taken in last 12 months with in 20 miles of me,

5 years ago we was every where felling them and on some sites we fell 100s of tonnes of what i would of said where very healthy trees, on one site where they harvested approx 3000 tonne and replanted with spruce has loads of regen larch coming through and we left a small block off about 200 trees that where in a very bad place, them trees are still there and are 100% fine but where earmarked to come down,

So did the FC get things right or not ? i tend to differ on that one and think we felled trees that where not infected and in some good sheltered areas to, 

One site we felled about 600 tonne of 20-25 year old stuff over about 5 blocks and there was only 5 trees that had been confirmed with PR on that site and they where about a mile to the east of the blocks we felled, i tend to think we felled these for no reason ?,

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

still a fair bit of larch round me with only the odd block being infected, there is some blocks about 2 mile from me that are some decent sized trees like 600-700 DBH but they are on on one hell of a steep banking above a river, i only know of one block that has been taken in last 12 months with in 20 miles of me,

5 years ago we was every where felling them and on some sites we fell 100s of tonnes of what i would of said where very healthy trees, on one site where they harvested approx 3000 tonne and replanted with spruce has loads of regen larch coming through and we left a small block off about 200 trees that where in a very bad place, them trees are still there and are 100% fine but where earmarked to come down,

So did the FC get things right or not ? i tend to differ on that one and think we felled trees that where not infected and in some good sheltered areas to, 

One site we felled about 600 tonne of 20-25 year old stuff over about 5 blocks and there was only 5 trees that had been confirmed with PR on that site and they where about a mile to the east of the blocks we felled, i tend to think we felled these for no reason ?,

FC probably looked at them in the Winter ... 😆 K

• Haha 1