Ifor Williams tipper Ninja required

Essexlogman

Hello Folks I trust you are all well !

Electric tipper TT85 (owned from new 2009) not working I have as follows /fully charged battery/ put on new solenoid/ taken electric motor apart and cleaned all bushes and contacts/ taken electric release valve off and cleaned/ manual pump works and lifts the trailer electric the hand held remote will lower/ there are no fuses / has anyone got any ideas?

all I can think of is that the electric motor although it looks fine to me is just dead, does this just happen? I am quiet happy to just whack a new one on there and or take to an electrical engineer but it  but it does go against the old "there is always a way approach" Cheers

I had a similar issue, it would lift it like 1 inch then die, discovered huge holes in the filter and the tank was full of scum. 

Cleaned that and got replacement filter and replaced oil, and it tipped empty fine. 

Now it seems to have an issue with one of the bolts which goes from solenoid into the motor, I have no clue about motors but this is what I have narrowed it down too. Its like the bolt doesn't tighten up, therefore not giving proper connection. 

I'd also be glad of ideas how to fix before having to take to a local engineer! 

To check the lift button on the remote unplug the remote there are 3 pins in the plug. Find the live one with a tester, then bridge that pin to one of the other 2, one of the others is tip and the other is lower. Will show if the remoter is working to rule one more thing out

Does the motor actually run when you push the up button, if the motor runs but it doesn't go up then that suggests the hydraulic pump is knacked or some other hydraulic fault, if the motor doesn't even make any sound at all then it is either the switch button in your hand, the solenoid, or the motor.

Put a meter or bulb on the motor wires and see if you get any power when you press the button.

4 hours ago, Lowestoft Firewood said:

I had a similar issue, it would lift it like 1 inch then die, discovered huge holes in the filter and the tank was full of scum. 

Cleaned that and got replacement filter and replaced oil, and it tipped empty fine. 

Now it seems to have an issue with one of the bolts which goes from solenoid into the motor, I have no clue about motors but this is what I have narrowed it down too. Its like the bolt doesn't tighten up, therefore not giving proper connection. 

I'd also be glad of ideas how to fix before having to take to a local engineer! 

The oil is fine but yes  I have had various issues over the years with primarily electrical contact issues one was the battery terminal connectors and wires leading to the battery worth a look! Cheers Essexlogman

1 hour ago, Will C said:

To check the lift button on the remote unplug the remote there are 3 pins in the plug. Find the live one with a tester, then bridge that pin to one of the other 2, one of the others is tip and the other is lower. Will show if the remoter is working to rule one more thing out

Thanks I did try that one alas to no avail though Cheers Essexlogman

36 minutes ago, Kevm said:

Does the motor actually run when you push the up button, if the motor runs but it doesn't go up then that suggests the hydraulic pump is knacked or some other hydraulic fault, if the motor doesn't even make any sound at all then it is either the switch button in your hand, the solenoid, or the motor.

Put a meter or bulb on the motor wires and see if you get any power when you press the button.

The motor does not run my suspicion is it is this, the remote is less than a year old I have tested for current and seems OK  I will double check though the remote handset  just in case Cheers Essexlogman

10 minutes ago, Essexlogman said:

The motor does not run my suspicion is it is this, the remote is less than a year old I have tested for current and seems OK  I will double check though the remote handset  just in case Cheers Essexlogman

Are you getting voltage at the motor like Kevm said? No point checking at the start and working forward if you can start at the end and work back.