Chain comparison test video - not seen better...

Rob D

2 hours ago, Macpherson said:

It was interesting to see the brand new out the box up close views of the different cutters, most didn't look that sharp compared to a tooth sharpened with a diamond burr in a dremel.

It would be more interesting to see the same test if the guy had sharpened all the chains the same way and set the depth gauges on each chain to be all the same... and kind of showed why you should sharpen a new chain,  as has been mentioned on here before.

Yep I put a couple of strokes on new cutters .

I was surprised how poorly the carton chain performed against the cheapo chains and the fact the the American didn't know that it's made in the US.

It's Carlton I've been using in the Alaskan and it seems to keep it's edge well and really needs to be sharpened with a grinder as it's hardness eats files... being a different configuration to the competition I'm of a mind to try Oregon and Stihl ripping chain in order to compare but I don't really mill enough to justify it.

Maybe the opposite would make more sense....get some Carlton 3/8 full chiz and put that to the test 🙃

29 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

I’m surprised about Carlton as they’ve been owned by Oregon for years.

There's my answer👍 

But having just read the history of Carlton, they were bought by Blout international in 2008 and they're based in Portland, Oregon...Carlton were based in Milwaukie Oregon, bars and chain are still part of there business. cheers.

Edited by Macpherson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

I use stihl chains up to 54” then swap to Oregon skip or hyperskip.
I’m surprised about Carlton as they’ve been owned by Oregon for years.
emoji106.png

I think Oregon own Carlton but Carlton chains are still made separately by 'Carlton' machines... [just what I heard]. So basically Carlton is not re branded Oregon chains [though some of Husky chains are!]

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ratman said:

You struggle sourcing them stubby?

No not now as I don't buy many chains being out of the game now .  Most Stihl chains seem to be .063 to fit Stihl bars funnily enough but they do make them in Husky gauge and when I came across them i would buy them .

• Like 1

No not now as I don't buy many chains being out of the game now .  Most Stihl chains seem to be .063 to fit Stihl bars funnily enough but they do make them in Husky gauge and when I came across them i would buy them .

I wanted some .404 semi chisel chains but struggled finding them in the uk, plenty from america but postage makes em expensive, found some on newsawchains website, came day after, might be worth a look for ya. Typical enter ya saw model, length, gauge drop down boxes scenario website, i’ve just done a husky mock up and they come up with sthil chains if they are right for ya in the gauge you say. 🤷‍♂️[emoji106]
  • Thanks 1

I wanted some .404 semi chisel chains but struggled finding them in the uk, plenty from america but postage makes em expensive, found some on newsawchains website, came day after, might be worth a look for ya. Typical enter ya saw model, length, gauge drop down boxes scenario website, i’ve just done a husky mock up and they come up with sthil chains if they are right for ya in the gauge you say. 🤷‍♂️[emoji106]

Stihl sell .404 semi chisel.
They call it RM rapid micro
RS rapid super is full chisel.
[emoji106]