Dealing With Waste Question

TIMON

1 hour ago, dumper said:

I thought treated timber was controlled waste so you need to separate your pile and don’t discount a air burner

If you are worried about the legality then anything which is discarded is waste, the EA just have a position statement that allows that virgin timber need not be treated as waste if it is being properly dealt with.

Air curtain burners are technical devices and when I last looked, 4 years ago,  were treated the same as open bonfires. Mind even though the Solent division of EA  told me that I could not use one  when we put about 150m3 of whole trees through one over a weekend he didn't come out and stop us.

As has been said you need to keep virgin green waste separate from other wood. Untreated wood could be burnt in an exempt incinerator but not painted wood or wood with preservative.

There is an interesting little wrinkle that some biomass suppliers were making use of 10 years ago to get rid of treated wood and I don't know if that is still the case.

10 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

That is what mage me chuckle when it was posted. Some people has no clue how big a pile of 300+ ton of waste is and think its weeks work for 2 men chipping that lot without the soil and green waste.

Long term solution would be to deal with the waste as it arises - having a shredder in the yard might prevent this being a massive ongoing ballache. 

• Like 2

If you are worried about the legality then anything which is discarded is waste, the EA just have a position statement that allows that virgin timber need not be treated as waste if it is being properly dealt with.

Air curtain burners are technical devices and when I last looked, 4 years ago,  were treated the same as open bonfires. Mind even though the Solent division of EA  told me that I could not use one  when we put about 150m3 of whole trees through one over a weekend he didn't come out and stop us.

As has been said you need to keep virgin green waste separate from other wood. Untreated wood could be burnt in an exempt incinerator but not painted wood or wood with preservative.

There is an interesting little wrinkle that some biomass suppliers were making use of 10 years ago to get rid of treated wood and I don't know if that is still the case.

Pretty much resigned to the fact most of it would be classed as treated timber waste.
Shredding it would certainly reduce it by volume compared to just grab loading the pile truck by truck.
Just wondering how much we could save by shredding and ‘binning’ it.
I doubt that hiring a tracked shredder and 360/grapple for a couple of days would be cheap. Then there is the cost of the 40 yard bins.

Two days machine hire and processing/removal
Versus 20+ grab loaders.

I do like the idea of the Air burner for simplicity, but the days of burning it have long gone.

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas

There is a company called janbor that supply roll on roll off for timber. My mate has one on his nursery, all his wood waste goes in, except MDF and chipboard, as the glue is not good, but treated timber not an issue. It's quite a reasonable price in gather, and you could shred into it to get the most value out of it.

I am quite fortunate, I keep all my old fence posts for my own fire at home, and  green waste i have a free tip for, but not everyone so fortunate

• Like 1

If you was up here in Lancashire i would put you in touch with someone who would pay you for your waste timber as long as he had room for a tub grinder, 8 tonne digger and 2 tractors and trailers and it would not matter about MDF or chipboard, 

There must be someone near you with a boiler that burns waste wood who would take this for next to nothing of you,

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

All of the "green waste" facilities I know of put everything including fence panels, through the shredder, I haven't seen anywhere that separates it out. Cant see it being an issue if its diluted with hundreds of tons of clean gear, bottom line is it will all end up in an incinerator somewhere.

Bob

Unless things have changed my nearest green waste site do separate fence panels, they being more expensive to tip, and the non-chip green waste - grass, hedge cuttings etc - are landfilled.  That was told me by the yard operator but it was a couple of years ago so could have changed.

It's a mad world.

Edited by nepia