Growing Christmas trees, species and nanagement

drinksloe

4 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I was also told the other day your better off ripping them out before 8-9 inches if you want to keep on rotation as your supposed to get a felling licence from the FC for over that size.

Is there a lower diameter limit for felling licences is there? I thought it was just anything over 2 cubic meters for resell? 

Christmas trees are seen differently until the 8-9” can’t remember exactly as i was having a conversation about working on other sites I need permission for but that’s what was mentioned as he knows the site and said be careful.. I just mentioned it as that’s why drinkslows friend could be removing his trees now to replace...

Just now, MattyF said:

Christmas trees are seen differently until the 8-9” can’t remember exactly as i was having a conversation about working on other sites I need permission for but that’s what was mentioned as he knows the site and said be careful.. I just mentioned it as that’s why drinkslows friend could be removing his trees now to replace...

After dragging through forestry commission leaflets, trees of <8cm overbark at 1.3m off the ground are exempt. Learn something new every day! Other exemptions are fruit trees and trees in inner london boroughs whatever that means 😂

Spent some time working with Christmas trees in my early 20’s 

lot of trimming 

lots of work 

many didn’t meet the grade 

we burnt a lot up the estate ended up buying a lot in 

might plant a few cheapo potted ones down the yard this year just for myself and nearest dearest if I can get some this time of year 

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

Won't be anywhere near ur scale Matty, quite literally just a few scrappy corners 

Got a bit off ground under power lines too that's good for nothing else ( not sure wot power company will say about that thou)

Hopefully if I could get 50 away a year would be all I'm looking for if that.

Just a wee hobby and a bit extra money.

A landowner 2p mile down the road used to do a bit but seemingly hes ripping up wot's left of his crop this spring.

I work my dogs on that estate but been a longtime since been in his christmas tree fields. His daughter is meant to be taking over the estate.

Think he was charging 50 quid for his smallest/cheapest trees.

Would 5-6 ft trees transplant ok if I could get my hands on some?

Wot type of soil are u on matty that nordman won't grow?

Still got a lot off home work to do yet

6bft trees will have a big root ball and a long tap root i have seen smaller trees dug out and potted up but to get them in the pot most of the roots had to be cut then they used to put a 6in nail through the bottom of the pot into the tree to hold them 

• Like 1

Must admit I thought that would be the case, was just a daft idea while typing if they were getting ripped out anyway.

I think the daughter doesn't want the work with the trees, not that her father does much he's a lazy bugger.

I've seen that video that stere posted before but only watched it admiring his skills. Watching it a bit closer now

I'm I right in saying there cypress trees?

Also surprised he cuts the leader of them, I imagine u wouldn't do that with a for or pine