New Chipper

5 shires

1 minute ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Ah i see. Not used a petrol machine yet. Do you find they bog or drop revs more than a diesel?

Moving chippers alone is no fun. Last time i had to i did this:

20201216_095908.thumb.jpg.cc9825f82ee4fb5b088a61051e08c9fd.jpg

I saw that Forst have a machine with a DPF now. It wouldn't worry me much, diesels generate soot under acceleration and with no-stress systems and running at constant RPM the DPF shouldn't really be an issue.

Ah, makes sense. The sub-750 aspect of the diesel TimberWolf machines explains them being flimsy. My understanding is that GreenMech are much better built and more robust.

No they pick up really well...on my last machine and this one it has a vanguard 37hp unit which is more then enough and the anvil is around 70kg compared to around 55kg on my 150p. They had to redesign the chassis to a lighter one piece to keep it at around the 750kg wieght.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Maybe different on different models, but don’t most (all) chippers have a fold down chute anyway?  

Couple of bolts, fold him over for clearing blockages etc?  Obv’s no good for transit etc. 

I had similar for ArbTrak 150 - bit of a boob on my part, but doesn’t fit in the shed I wanted to use for storage with chute upright. 

It’s not a drama, 2 bolts, fold, track him in. Reverse then load and go. 

Didn’t need a fancy mechanism though. 

There is 1 downside which I thought would kybosh me when I realised I needed to fold to stow. 

I was expecting a micro-switch cut out that would kill the flywheel if chute was folded - not so. You can fold the chute, engine running flywheel turning AND have an exposed hand sized gap where the hard of thinking ‘could’ put digits in the way of fast moving metal. 

I thought about talking to Pete about it but didn’t because it’ll only ever be me tracking it into the shed and I’m not stoopid enough to put my hand where it shouldn’t be 😂

They do but fold but only to the side and not over hopper or engine cover.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It wouldn't worry me much either, You could always take it off at the end of the day. I suppose the addition of a DPF, Adblue tank and the computer to run the emissions kit makes it difficult to get under 750 and also less attractive to the potential buyer

DPFs are always made out like the devil but they're actually a very good technology for reducing emissions. Fixed-RPM engines are much less likely to have issues with their DPFs.

The sub-750kg is largely only for those who don't have a trailer licence, and i don't really get that as it's not a big deal to get a trailer licence. My old job paid for mine.

24 minutes ago, 5 shires said:

No they pick up really well...on my last machine and this one it has a vanguard 37hp unit which is more then enough and the anvil is around 70kg compared to around 55kg on my 150p. They had to redesign the chassis to a lighter one piece to keep it at around the 750kg wieght.

Interesting,  hopefully i'll get to try one some time. Sounds like a really nice machine. 37bhp is a fair bit of power.

1 minute ago, Moose McAlpine said:

The sub-750kg is largely only for those who don't have a trailer licence, and i don't really get that as it's not a big deal to get a trailer licence. My old job paid for mine.

That is true, not a biggie to get a licence but not everyone has them, especially labourers. It's good to have something anyone you're working with can tow. Especially now the difference between a sub750 160mm chipper and a 160mm chipper over 750 is becoming less and less.

Be interesting to see what the fuel usage is like in the real world as that's the only difference I can forsee between petrol and diesel and I suppose how often the stress-relief system cuts in as a diesel has more cylinders and more torque.