When clients refuse to pay...

Ty Korrigan

To save writing quotes could you not agree a price with a customer and then get them to sign a "contract for work"???

Or a "pro-forma invoice" laying out the agreed costs and work to be done for "written reference"?

If they start being funny just tell the customer it's a business requirement, required under current government legislation ;)

From wikipedia:

In trade transactions, a pro forma invoice is a document that states a commitment from the seller to sell goods to the buyer at specified prices and terms. It is used to declare the value of the trade. It is not a true invoice, because it is not used to record accounts receivable for the seller and accounts payable for the buyer. Simply, a 'Proforma Invoice' is Confirmed Purchase Order where buyer and Supplier agrees on the Product Detail and its cost (usually-Supplier currency) to be shipped to buyer. Sales quotes are prepared in the form of a pro forma invoice which is different from a commercial invoice. It is used to create a sale and is sent in advance of the commercial invoice. The content of a pro forma invoice is almost identical to a commercial invoice and is usually considered a binding agreement although the price might change in advance of the final sale.

Edited by Omniata

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you make any notes about what needs doing for yourself?

I couldnt remember half the stuff I had to do if it wasnt written down somewhere.:001_rolleyes:

Normally ask them to be there in the morning to run through the job again, if they can't I just talk the job through with them on the phone.

IME most domestic customers who ask for a written quotes are timewasters.

The work never gets done, or they show your quote to an insurance co. then get the pikeys in to smash the tree to pieces and make money from your quote.

Won't do them any more unless it's a big job or they have already accepted but want it in writing for some reason.

I am lazy with paperwork and too trusting.

I have worked in Lancs, Yorkshire and Cumbria and 99% of people are trustworthy after a handshake. Extra work included.

There is always the 1% who want something for nothing and if you are trustworthy they may mistake your honesty for stupidity.

Up to you to trust people and take the odd hit or drown yourself in paperwork.

Bigger jobs are always worth the extra effort

Well,

Thanks for all those replies lads.:thumbup1:

I went back today to try and get my money but no-one answered the door.

My French family are furious that I have been diddled this way but my Brit associate has had it done so often now he would just rather forget it.

What can you really do though...?

I mean, the can you just do this? and can you just do that? soon adds up and if the client doesn't witness you working at all times then they can I suppose turn around and argue that you have not earned your final bill.

Putain le merde!:sneaky2: