How small to split oak

David Lawrence 88

4 hours ago, neiln said:

I've got 4-5+ m³ in my front garden, most stacked against the South facing house wall to season.  I've done this for 3 years now and not seen any stolen.  I've had a few people knock and ask to buy some but none had been taken.  This is a South London suburban street though, and several neighbours would see a thief I suspect.  

Tbh, I feel more worried it will walk when it's still in rounds or halves, it takes ga lot longer to pick up and load splits.  If I were you, I'd split and stack it all now.

Had 5 cube nicked last week all split and stacked. They will steal anything these days and must have taken ages to hand ball away. locally logs go for £75 a cube so about £375-350 for a bit of light fingered activity .

• Sad 2

Had some split wood going missing on the estate and wondered how it’s was getting taken away. One dewy morning noticed a line in the grass to the stack I followed it back to the nearby village and saw the wood stacked up along the offending house wall. He was using a wheelbarrow 300m each way. He did turn a shade of white when I knocked on the door. I let him keep the wood 5ish barrows worth 😏

• Like 2

Someone has already referred to Vincent Thurkettles book and for me it is the definitive gospel - although he has some funny thoughts about softwood taking longer to dry than hardwoods (free and bound water and all that...)

I split oak smaller now than I ever used to - because in 2 years could never achieve 20%mc.  A clenched fist is the largest I will go for now and then I give it 2 years.  Log shed must me open to the breeze but keep rain off the top - deffo no tarp wrapping, which is pointless.  In the season  that you are going to use it, protect it from all driving rain as when logs are dry they do tend to lap this up.

Where you are in the country will make a difference to how fast stuff dries. London/SE fairly warm and drier than many places, so oak to 18% in 2 summers isn't a problem (if...IF my £5 moisture meter is accurate... It's possible it isn't).

Youngsbury, that's impressive!  Must have been tempting to tell him to put it all back.... Then sit and watch as he pushed the barrow!  I can imagine theft from a in presumably rural estate setting though. Where is silver hook I wonder.

9 hours ago, youngsbury said:

I thought no point making an enemy over a little timber. I see him about walking his dog a fair bit on the footpaths and have a chat plus it’s good to have eyes about the place who let me know of any going’s on when I’m not about. 

You are beyond  reasonable  matey . Hope he does not think he can carry on helping himself !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have freed up a log store in my yard that i will use to house a portion of oak that i will split to stove size. I have never had fresh oak firewood before so it will enable me to establish how some of it seasons and dries. I am in no rush so if it needs two seasons that is fine. I find with this sort of thing nearly every day is a school day. Thanks to those who have provided advice (neiln). 

Edited by DocMustard
Correction