Shipping container Kiln

Big Beech

still doing some investigations in Kilns, various options about from simple solar to logosol to DIY wooden crate jobs.

Does anyone have a thought about insulated shipping containers?

one for sale locally, but unsure if that it would suit the needs for a kiln?

Obviously needs a few tweeks here and there, but in my eyes looks to be a good staring block?

Just as a side note, this container is 10ft6 and insulated, but weather there is enough i wouldn't know? Guessing you can never have enough!

Screenshot_20201220-132846_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Big Beech

Unit costing is around 1k plus delivery, excluding any equipment.

Life spans seem dependant on many factors, but for me it needs to a be move able unit as my yard is due to change at some stage.

But I haven't looked at equipment price, heaters and fans. Guessing 500 going by big J post. So could have a kiln for 2k, if that last 8 years that will do me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

I’m building my shed next weekemoji106.png

Does drying the air dried planks you have had stickered up dry for the last year or 2, really add that much value to them and make them that much more marketable.

If it were to add 25% to a £100 plank, which then sells for £125 then maybe it is worth the investment and additional handling costs. Handling costs money and all labour input need to be accounted for.

There is the issue of having a room that is kept below 10% ambient MC that has to be constantly heated, as somewhere to store the dried planks..

I have a 20 ft container that is already insulated with 450m celotex that could be used for the purpose and 25 solar panels 250watt that could be used to heat an accumulator during daylight hours and would heat the installation 24/7.

Does drying the air dried planks you have had stickered up dry for the last year or 2, really add that much value to them and make them that much more marketable.

If it were to add 25% to a £100 plank, which then sells for £125 then maybe it is worth the investment and additional handling costs. Handling costs money and all labour input need to be accounted for.

There is the issue of having a room that is kept below 10% ambient MC that has to be constantly heated, as somewhere to store the dried planks..

I have a 20 ft container that is already insulated with 450m celotex that could be used for the purpose and 25 solar panels 250watt that could be used to heat an accumulator during daylight hours and would heat the installation 24/7.

It’ll double or triple the price of the slabs.
Also it means the 98% of woodworkers who don’t want to wait years, can buy their kiln dried timber from me.
I’d prefer to have a kiln with mains supply.
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, Big Beech said:

Unit costing is around 1k plus delivery, excluding any equipment.

Life spans seem dependant on many factors, but for me it needs to a be move able unit as my yard is due to change at some stage.

But I haven't looked at equipment price, heaters and fans. Guessing 500 going by big J post. So could have a kiln for 2k, if that last 8 years that will do me!

I like the idea of an insulated Container as well Simon. I'd maybe clad the outside so it looks a bit more presentable. :D 

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

It’ll double or triple the price of the slabs.
Also it means the 98% of woodworkers who don’t want to wait years, can buy their kiln dried timber from me.
I’d prefer to have a kiln with mains supply.
emoji106.png

Jesus Christ !!!  Christmas has come early - 2 - 3 x air dried.

Is there a rule of thumb average how many years say Oak has to be kept stickered air drying before force drying.  e.g 1" slabs 9 months, 2" slabs 18 months, 3" 2 years, 4" 4 years? Thanks.

I would have electricity supply controlled by thermostat that takes over if the accumulated drops below a pre-determined temperature.