Air fed helmets

sime42

So I'm looking for recommendations please people. For decent but reasonably priced air fed helmets and / or places to buy them. I know they're not at all cheap so not expecting a steal, but at the same time I don't want to have to pay a fortune.

I was in the loft yesterday replacing rubbish old glass fibre insulation with new. Even with a FFP3 mask I could still feel it getting into my lungs. I could also use it for the occasional wood turning that I do.

Thanks in advance.

I use a positive pressure helmet when wood turning, may be what you need JSP power cap or the Aminster clone

WWW.JSPSAFETY.COM
Categories Hard hats, Safety Helmets, Bumps Caps, Disposable Masks, Full Face Masks, Ear Defenders, Safety...  
That looks good. Thanks. And it's sold by Screwfix, ideal! Seems like a direct competitor to the Trend helmets.

I know you want air fed but you're going to need all the filtration for inlet air etc or you will be breathing all the oil out the compressor which is some nasty carcinogenic crap. Look at the 3m 6000 series half mask or full face, they are worth their weight in gold. I used to do cargo bays on planes that were a rockwool stuff like fiberglass and usually the s*** tank leaked into it too. Not just wasn't I inhaling dust but I couldn't smell the poo either. I've also used them for asbestos removal too. You can fit test by blocking the inlets and breathing in and blocking the outlet and breathing out. 10000x better than air fed. 

Always good to get another perspective, that's why I posted on here. Thanks. I thought I wanted air fed but now I'm not so sure! More thought obviously required. I assumed that air fed helmets incorporated filtration systems. Or do you mean between you and the compressor?
The 3M 6000 half face mask is certainly an awful lot cheaper.

We bought some Airstream helmets for working in the dusty grain bins on the farm back in the 1980s.  I see that they are atill shown on Amazon but not available at present

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

3M Airstream Headgear-Mounted Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR) System, Respiratory Protection AS-400LBC, NiCd Rechargeable Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Welcome

They worked well but it is never easy if you are working  hard and sweating in a confined space.

They had a filter at the back through which air was drawn up via a fan over your face and down.  This protected your eyes as well as your lungs.

WWW.FINDTHENEEDLE.CO.UK

Our Purelite Xstream Powered Airstream Helmet hs been made to conform to EN 146 class THP1 and 100-60-04P for personal protection against dust when wo...

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

The Trend Airshield Pro Respirator is a fully protected powered respirator for use with all woodworking applications and is suitable for use when machining MDF. It is approved to new...

2 hours ago, donnk said:

the downside to the non-air fed is they will with moisture from your breath and are very uncomfortable after a while, obviously also a problem for a beardy.

Forced air 200% better.

The moisture is a slight issue but no biggy. They have valves in that direct the airflow correctly and an moisture will drain out the front of a 3m 6000. I used to have to wear them for 11.5 hours a day doing fuel tank work etc, they aren't as uncomfortable as people think. 

That being said, the air fed masks are more comfortable but you need to pay more for them, you need the air filtration and water removal equipment and you need a good sized compressor that can either supply far more air than you need and shut off to cool or can run at 100% duty cycle which is usually a screw compressor. If you try to hook up a small compressor (under 100L at least) then you're going to be breathing hot, humid, oily air that is really bad for you. 

For woodturning I use the 3m Versaflo 300 series system with their 306 helmet but it's not the cheapest. It's comfortable and it filters to TH3. It's much, much better than the JSP Powercap which I used to have.

Also note, there was discussion on various woofturning groups a couple of years ago about the advertised filtration classification of the JSP and Axminster units. JSP class them as TH1P and then say that they're equivalent to FFP2, but the 2 classifications can't be compared as they're for different types of masks (I believe the TH classification system includes inwards leakage). The Advertising Standards Agency ruled twice against one particular shop who was miss-selling the PowerCap as suitable for hardwood dust. Axminster refunded several people who claimed against them for miss-selling their version. 

I have the 3M versaflo and it is the best available and the most expensive !!!  I also have the Trend one but the motor and battery are in the helmet which makes it quite heavy and prone to falling off if you lean forward unless you have the headband quite tight which is uncomfortable after a while  ( The 3M has motor and battery on waist belt and superior filtration )