Can I do some extra freelance work for the company I work for?

Sam

2 hours ago, Stuck in a Tree said:

Hi all, I'm the OP 

But at least now I've learned to..

a) be clear exactly what's being talked about (tax, insurance, what type of insurance etc etc)

b) check everything with everyone, and

c) never use the word 'freelance' again!

Thanks for all the imput.

ps, by the way, I'm a woman, just in reference to the all-pervading (except from the guy in Norway - cheers) him/he/his 🙂

No, don’t use the term ‘Subby’.

There was another thread started after this due to the debate.

The OP in the other thread actually contacted his insurance company and they confirmed that’s a freelance worker is classed as a Labour only Sub contractor an therefore is covered by the employer for the days insurance policy.  

I am in Norway, did I say something to offend? I hope not. 

I don't know what All - pervading means. ;)

I still don't understand these bloody insurance companies though. Benedmonds asked them a pretty simple question and instead of saying "Labour only subcontractors are classed as employees and are covered by your insurance" they said: 

"As they will be working under your direction and control, they would be classed as labour-only sub-contractors. That’s the key element regardless of whether they use their own equipment." 

But nothing on his insurance document he said about at the start said labour only subcontractors are covered, it just says that "subcontractors must have their own insurance" 

I know that it means they are covered under his policy but why can't they ever give clear answers? 😂

Edited by Paddy1000111

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I still don't understand these bloody insurance companies though. Benedmonds asked them a pretty simple question and instead of saying "Labour only subcontractors are classed as employees and are covered by your insurance" they said: 

Why can't they ever give clear answers? 😂

I replied:

To to confirm that "yes they are covered"..?

And they confirmed in English:

Yes, covered on the Employer’s Liability section of the policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

No, don’t use the term ‘Subby’.

There was actually another thread started after this due to the debate.

The OP in the other thread actually contacted his insurance company and they confirmed that’s a freelance worker is classed as a Labour only Sub contractor an therefore is covered by the employer for the days insurance policy.  

I am in Norway, did I say something to offend?  I don't know what All - pervading means. ;)

I hope not.

No its' fine, you're good.

I'll check out that other thread of Ben's then, thanks for the heads up.

• Thanks 1

Just crack on,if it’s your own work that you do in your own time(after your normal work day,weekends)and it doesn’t impact or affect your work ethic and your capabilities working for your employer then in my view it’s not an issue,the only thing is that if you ever get injured or have an accident that prevents you from carrying out your normal work duties that’s when it becomes a problem because you either tell your employees up front what your thinking of doing or you tell a porky,other then that just crack on...i’am guessing you won’t be doing big major take downs and or the more difficult jobs as that is when you will need PL but if your only doing small tree works and hedge cutting etc I wouldn’t bother.

• Sad 1