Which plunge saw?

difflock

6 hours ago, Woodworks said:

They did have an amazing reputation but think its waning. My mate uses a few Festool tools. He has quite a lot of problems but they are still excellent about warrantees but its still a pain being without tools while they are being fixed. 

festool come with pikey cover as well, they replace any pinched in first 12 months.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, difflock said:

I never quite knew what to make of the Scheppach brand, having seen various reviews and remarks praising their quality, but myself being wary of how this could be right in light of their relatively low cost.

Horses for courses I suppose!

Yeah, the scheppach gear that I see when I visit the dealer near to me has always been, or seemed to be good quality and just out my price range... planers, bandsaws and other woodworking machines etc. I've certainly drooled over some of they're stuff.

Perhaps they're trying to introduce an entry level range, cheers.

2 hours ago, harvey b davison said:

That 75mm schepach seems a nice choice, but I'm sure I have read somewhere that the rails are non standard, so the saw will only run on certain tracks.

And there lies the essential confusion whenever you try to get the best for your needs there's always a compromise forced on you, countless hours of swithering🙃

For me the extra research done due to reading this thread has led me to decide on an Eff off big Makita ripsnorter that fits on a track and if I need to plunge it I'll leave a screw loose, thanks guys. 😁

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Cracking saw (One bigger than that in the Makita range too if you are a masochist) 

Yep, the 270mm does a 4" cut which is enough for me and at under £200 seems like a bargain compared to the subject of this thread.

I'd imagine that the 355mm version will have it's uses and must be a beast but at nearly 4 times the price it only cuts 30 mil more, 👍

• Like 1

I have a 240 makita track saw and its ace a real good bit of kit the only down side is it will only cut 2inch deep I do have a monster of an old makita circular saw but sadly it will not run on the track and they dont make a plate to convert ,I defo would not get rid of my table saw though who ever said that if you have a track saw you dodnt need a table saw is totaly wrong I think .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 23/12/2020 at 09:23, Treewolf said:

A little off-topic perhaps, but has anyone here used the Festool Sword-Saw? If so, any feedback?

Also can anyone tell me if Festool and Mafell tracks are interchangeable?

Thanks!

Yes.... Very handy and accurate  for dim timbers but tad slow. 

From memory you can fit the mafell saw on both rails but not connect them together. 

Sorry old post reply but hope it helps...

20210228_113008.jpg

• Like 2

Yes.... Very handy and accurate  for dim timbers but tad slow. 
From memory you can fit the mafell saw on both rails but not connect them together. 
Sorry old post reply but hope it helps...
20210228_113008.thumb.jpg.40d32a61a2f13d00a0ff47b40ff7a4d2.jpg
I had the sword saw on trial some years ago but opted to buy one of these because it cuts quicker and is a fraction of the price
WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop Prazi USA PR2700 Beam Cutter Non Worm Drive.

38 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

I had the sword saw on trial some years ago but opted to buy one of these because it cuts quicker and is a fraction of the price

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on all eligible orders. Shop Prazi USA PR2700...

👍I just like the festool guide rail system though very handy.

What saw did you fit the Prazi onto?

I have an old 7.1/4" Skil wormdrive which I rarely use since buying a cordless Makita, so I'm considering fitting either a Prazi beam saw or Bigfoot 10.1/4" conversion kit to it. The Bigfoot replaces the standard base and guard to accommodate a larger blade and increases the depth of cut to nearly 4". I'm leaning towards the Prazi as I already have a 10" Wolf saw and ancient 9" B&D Ripsnorter, but neither have the power of the Skil.