Which plunge saw?

difflock

Hmm.  It's a good question.

I have the Festool track saw - along with a number of others [Domino, Planer, MFT/3, extractors, etc.]

The tracksaw is expensive - and it's pretty good - but certainly not perfect.  It's been back to Festool for a repair and they made a pigs ear of that.  Also it came from the factory and wasn't calibrated properly and need to be  zeroed to cut at 90 degrees.  Given what I spent - I was really disappointed.  Customer service has been poor.  My personal view is that there's a mythology around the brand that isn't necessarily backed up by quality across the range.

They do make excellent blades - and I honestly think that this is half the reason they get great reviews for their saws.

If you want top-end - then buy Mafell.  Old fashioned, German engineering that will last forever - but you'll have to sell a son or daughter to pay for it.

If I was buying again - I'd look at the 18v Makita.  It will run on the Makita and Festool tracks - giving you a choice.  The Makita 18v system is strong too - even though they are introducing a 40v system alongside.

Festool claim that with a tracksaw - there's no need for a table saw.  I'd say that there's some truth in that.  So it may be worth spending  little more than you planned because you'll end up using it more than you think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No the best by far is Festool. They have a battery plunge saw that goes on a guide and is the best I have used. Had the 230v one and gave it away when I bought the twin battery one. Dewalt brought out their own but it kept jumping and I think they discontinued it. Once you buy your first Festool then its hard to buy anything else, I have nearly their full range but they are expensive. I use their battery jigsaw with 110mm blade for pruning and its great, not sure why. 

Until you have used mafell and then wondered why you bothered with festool [emoji23]

Iv just bought the mafell mt55 cost £610 delivered with two blades iv used festool tracksaws quite a bit at work and did me research befor buying anything the mafell has a few advantages over the festool in my opinion so took the "plunge" and it hasn't disappointed I love it.

• Thanks 1

I use Makita and my mate uses the Festool. Not much in it as we use each others saws on site from time to time. My Makita is a bit more accurate but to be fair his Festool has seen more work. Both good tools IME.

Mafell is better than either from what I hear but not tried one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Only for glorified hobby use, but I take some pleasure in decent tools.

So not Lidl type rubbish, but equally well I dont need RR quality(and price)

marcus

Decent saw and will do you well marcus. Guys are not reading your post (hobby) The einhell is a pro saw just not the price or build of the festool or mafell. Will be in the same league as the mainstream bosch/dewalt ect 

Einhell TE-PS 165mm Plunge Saw 1200W