Wood burners and indoor polloution

9 hours ago, Squaredy said:

It is difficult to take this seriously.  A woodburner is alight for four hours, and opening the door for a few seconds over the course of an evening results in harmful levels of particulates being released?  And this is against the strong inflow of air when you open the door!

Exactly . Its bollox .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonder how it compares to using a gas hob?

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Gas cookers making people sick and exposing tens of millions to air pollution levels that would be illegal if they were outside

Also find it dumb when have seen forest school and bushcraft types are  lighting  campfires etc and sitting around breathing in  the smoke.

Open cooking fires cause major health issues in third world countries.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Commando said:

It’s in The Guardian ffs....the only thing that rag is good for is lighting your stoveemoji106.png

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Researchers from the University of Sheffield placed pollution...

Do you believe it now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Looking at the amount of dust we get in wood burning season I wouldn't doubt it. Also can smell it in the house after reloading so clearly not everything is going up the flue. 

Much the same here and I try and open the door carefully, just taking the ash out raises dust and thus room gets covered in it.

All the same I do not think ash dust is in the same league as the other products of incomplete combustion, that's the thing about PM figures they don't differentiate between particle chemistry. Of course dust is still a problem if exposed to it constantly and being largely silica it causes silicosis.

I need to see how I can get my python program to write to a file and then I could log PM through the day and see if it rises particularly when loading the Morso 11 stove, which runs 16 hours a day at present. Oddly after I bought it I noticed the Morso manual showed it was for intermittent use but it seems to be faring reasonably.