Wood burners and indoor polloution

Surprised this recent news item hasn't already been covered on here, or if it has I haven't seen it - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/18/wood-burners-triple-harmful-indoor-air-pollution-study-finds

Can't find a link to the actual study so not sure of the methodology. Genuine issue, or continuation of Government policy to clamp down on people living independently and ''outside'' the system?

I'm struggling to see how this could be if you run the stove correctly, meaning to a decent temp. When I open the door it's like a jet engine roar with the heat going up the chimney which must draw any potential small particles with it, it certainly pulls the ash in that has fallen towards the door seal. Is it down to people not running these things correctly, upto temp with well seasoned wood...... Can't help stupid...

NoPedigree.

• Like 3

Surprised this recent news item hasn't already been covered on here, or if it has I haven't seen it - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/dec/18/wood-burners-triple-harmful-indoor-air-pollution-study-finds
Can't find a link to the actual study so not sure of the methodology. Genuine issue, or continuation of Government policy to clamp down on people living independently and ''outside'' the system?
I saw this earlier as well, and wished I hadn't. I was initially quite concerned but then realised I should take it with a pinch of salt. I'm not sure of the motivation but I don't really buy it. Humans have been living with and in wood smoke forever! It's very strange that it's only just now been highlighted as high risk.
  • Like 3

I'd also like to know the methodology.  When opening the door I first open the vents to clear any smoke, I crack the door and wait a second or 2, then slowly open the door.  If in a hurry for some reason it is possible to pull a puff of smoke out, or if I reach inside to move a log, then occasionally I can get a slight smoke smell in the room too.  So I can see it's possible but affected by how you do stuff.  This must also be balanced against any positive benefits from the fresh air being pulled into the house... Humidity is way down and other indoor pollutants from all sources must be too I'd guess.  So even if it's worse for pm2.5 is it worse overall?  I'd like to see more detail.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, neiln said:

I'd also like to know the methodology.  When opening the door I first open the vents to clear any smoke, I crack the door and wait a second or 2, then slowly open the door.  If in a hurry for some reason it is possible to pull a puff of smoke out, or if I reach inside to move a log, then occasionally I can get a slight smoke smell in the room too.  So I can see it's possible but affected by how you do stuff.  This must also be balanced against any positive benefits from the fresh air being pulled into the house... Humidity is way down and other indoor pollutants from all sources must be too I'd guess.  So even if it's worse for pm2.5 is it worse overall?  I'd like to see more detail.

Why would you have to open vents, open the door slowly to clear smoke? There should be no visable smoke in the fire box apart from maybe the 5 minutes after the first match to the stove, is this where the reported indoor pollution comes from?

NoPedigree

Edited by Nopedigree
Spelling

It is difficult to take this seriously.  A woodburner is alight for four hours, and opening the door for a few seconds over the course of an evening results in harmful levels of particulates being released?  And this is against the strong inflow of air when you open the door!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There might be some pollution. Plenty old boys (my dad included) round here been burning stinking timber all theirs lives (some of it of dubious moisture content). Dont really know if it’s done much harm versus the pollutants you might meet walking around your average city street... Christ just driving  into Plymouth I’m disgusted by how apparent the smell of fumes becomes sitting in traffic etc. Walking around town smell of cigarette smoke- something that I never come accross where I live.

Edited by Matthew Storrs
  • Like 1

I saw this earlier as well, and wished I hadn't. I was initially quite concerned but then realised I should take it with a pinch of salt. I'm not sure of the motivation but I don't really buy it. Humans have been living with and in wood smoke forever! It's very strange that it's only just now been highlighted as high risk.

It’s in The Guardian ffs....the only thing that rag is good for is lighting your stove[emoji106]
  • Like 3