Training / Books: Tree Species & Characteristics Relevant to our Industry & Climbers

Jamie Jones

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

That could get very clunky and confusing Paul, so many variables. Would be interested in how you think that could work though?

Yes the image is illustrative. I'll be wanting to include plenty of text, but i'll probably move it further down the page and keep the key info at the top. The tabs will allow people to jump straight to the relevant section without having to scroll down a long page also.

Tackling the user interface is going to be the tricky part. As for getting all the info together, well that could drag on for years! A worthwhile project though

Hi Steve, was just a "thought out loud" of a way to have a quick reference...but doing so would perhaps detract from reading and learning...and I do acknowledge it would be subjective (but it could be rationalised(?) by having a number of experienced people determine a rating and then take the average...BUT, point conceded!) 

Thanks Steve and I look forward to seeing it develop...thanks.

ATB

Paul

Sorry Steve, I don't understand your question / point about "how to implement it".....do you mean what criteria to apply and how to do so consistently?

If so I hadn't envisaged it being do so technically, more here's 20 common tree species - grade them 1-5 (safe to unsafe) and then take an average (directed to either a select group OR a "poll" for 2 weeks where anyone can rate them...dunno.)

Sorry mate, have to 'sign off' now..

Cheers n look back tomorrow.

1 minute ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Sorry Steve, I don't understand your question / point about "how to implement it".....do you mean what criteria to apply and how to do so consistently?

If so I hadn't envisaged it being do so technically, more here's 20 common tree species - grade them 1-5 (safe to unsafe) and then take an average (directed to either a select group OR a "poll" for 2 weeks where anyone can rate them...dunno.)

Sorry mate, have to 'sign off' now..

Cheers n look back tomorrow.

Yep got that part...it was the mention of fungi. I assumed you meant there should be a sort of secondary scale for how safe it is when colonised by each fungi. That would result in loads of different figures. I think the easiest way would be to list all associated fungi with the tree and link them to the relevant fungi in the fungi section. The same thing will happen on the fungi section, each fungi will list trees that are affected and they will in turn link back to the correct page on the tree section. This could result in a bit of back and forth but would keep each section a bit cleaner I think.

Hope that makes sense

9 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Yep got that part...it was the mention of fungi. I assumed you meant there should be a sort of secondary scale for how safe it is when colonised by each fungi. That would result in loads of different figures. I think the easiest way would be to list all associated fungi with the tree and link them to the relevant fungi in the fungi section. The same thing will happen on the fungi section, each fungi will list trees that are affected and they will in turn link back to the correct page on the tree section. This could result in a bit of back and forth but would keep each section a bit cleaner I think.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks Steve.

In practice, and I stand to be corrected (as always), and perhaps other than Innonotus in Ash, and maybe Massaria on LP, I'm not particularly aware of fungi being a safety issue / factor when climbing...but more potentially when felling (partic. ADB.) 

Hence my thoughts here were simply to list commonly associated fungi, perhaps including aerial or basal occurrence such that the reader can decide whether to read further with the links you include. I wasn't thinking anything more here and certainly wasn't thinking of rating these.

Cheers..

Paul