Training / Books: Tree Species & Characteristics Relevant to our Industry & Climbers

Jamie Jones

I have done so many NPTC City & Guilds Training Courses/Assessments for Chiansaw Work, Climbing and Working in the Canopy... But these qualifications are mostly about the equipment, how to safely use it and H&S Law.....But there is very information information covered on actually working in or on the different species of trees..

So... Is there currently a book on trees species for Arborists that not only helps you to identifies trees.... But also gives good information to climbing and ground arborists on what trees will take Reductions, Pollarding etc. When is the best time of year for working on different species, Which trees are brittle, Which trees are more prone to cause issue like Barber-Chairing, has rapid sap loss, can be very brittle to work on. Along with many of the other issues that people working in the field are likely to need to know for best practice and to help keep you safe. This might also help to reduce potential accidents from happening.

Does the Arb Association have any publications that contains this sort of information?
If not... It might be an idea for them to say team up with a publisher like 'Collins' who publish a book called the 'British Tree Guide' to consider doing a joint publication with and Arborists Version... They would only have to increase the page size / format, Use the current information and add in box sections with the relevant Arborists information..

If there is anyone from the Arb Association on this forum that might be able to respond or open a discussion with the powers to be within the Arb Association that can comment. It would be much  appreciated.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jamie Jones said:
I have done so many NPTC City & Guilds Training Courses/Assessments for Chiansaw Work, Climbing and Working in the Canopy... But these qualifications are mostly about the equipment, how to safely use it and H&S Law.....But there is very information information covered on actually working in or on the different species of trees..

So... Is there currently a book on trees species for Arborists that not only helps you to identifies trees.... But also gives good information to climbing and ground arborists on what trees will take Reductions, Pollarding etc. When is the best time of year for working on different species, Which trees are brittle, Which trees are more prone to cause issue like Barber-Chairing, has rapid sap loss, can be very brittle to work on. Along with many of the other issues that people working in the field are likely to need to know for best practice and to help keep you safe. This might also help to reduce potential accidents from happening.

Does the Arb Association have any publications that contains this sort of information?
If not... It might be an idea for them to say team up with a publisher like 'Collins' who publish a book called the 'British Tree Guide' to consider doing a joint publication with and Arborists Version... They would only have to increase the page size / format, Use the current information and add in box sections with the relevant Arborists information..

If there is anyone from the Arb Association on this forum that might be able to respond or open a discussion with the powers to be within the Arb Association that can comment. It would be much  appreciated.

crakin post,jamie.been lookin for similar myself, especially on a species you have not worked on before.regards struie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jamie Jones said:

This would be a great feature to have right here on Arbtalk. We could quite easily compile an online database using everyones experience here and include all the info you mentioned above and more. I've been looking for a new project for when things quieten down a little and this could be it!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Jamie Jones said:

Ive also thought for the same for a while now  and have made suggestion to the Arb ass, I'm actually still quite amazed the arb association haven't produced such a manual....seems like absolute no brainer and essential information for arborists that would improve our safety margins and hugely improve our level of tree care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

This would be a great feature to have right here on Arbtalk. We could quite easily compile an online database using everyones experience here and include all the info you mentioned above and more. I've been looking for a new project for when things quieten down a little and this could be it!

Great idea Steve, id be up for helping in anyway I can

• Like 2

On 19/12/2020 at 20:37, Steve Bullman said:

I couldn't agree more...and happy to contribute (one of which would be for Norway Maple (Acer platanoides) and potential weak forks / unions in main stems and branch connections - perhaps more of a surveyors issue, as can lead to failure, but one that climbers should be aware of too for anchor point selection or when felling etc. (the inclusion of botanical names is intentional as I think professional arbs should know their 'Top 10' broad-leaves and 'Top 3' conifers, at least the genera ('Surname' :)) but perhaps that's a different database.))

If anybody particularly wanted to progress this through the Association, firstly you'd have to be prepared to get involved (AWG - arborist working group) and it would take time...considerable time (obviously Steve's proposal could probably come online very quickly and be added to as we go.)   

"Best wishes all, and I hope you're safe and well...and stay so."

Cheers Steve, hope you're well.

Paul (Arb Association)

22 hours ago, Stere said:

Alot of that  type info I think may be hard to put down in writing as its kind of intuition built up with exprieince and maybe quite specific too each situation.

Good idea though.

I quite agree that experience / competence = wisdom and knowledge but hope this can be shared.

A simple database for 

-Species (common / botanical name AND (vital) photo (in and out of leaf ideally - or links to RHS / WT etc.) 

-General characteristics - broadleaf / evergreen . wood strength / brittleness / common structural defects / common fungi associations

-Climbing issues: anchors / footing etc.

-Rigging issues: 

-Felling issues:  

Other:

Sure this would be of value. 

• Like 2