Hand mounding

Mjk86

29 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

In this day of flood problems getting water off the hill quickly is probably the opposite of the aim of planting the hill. not to mention scouring.

Didnt say that. Point is the mans obvious apprehensive abt this job and a mechanical solution could be better. K

Slightly off topic, apologies, but what's the easiest way for a harvester and forwarder to work on hills, across the slope or up and down? Most of the Sitka on hills around here are straight up and down, that doesn't help with scouring. But if a drain is going across a slope with a sump for trapping silt scouring won't be as bad.

I reckon see how many mounds you can make in an hour on that rough ground and go from there. If you just time yourself doing one you could mislead yourself.  

Just one more suggestion; our (Irish) spade handles are a lot longer than yours, makes a job like that so much easier on the back, you stand up straight using one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Didnt say that. Point is the mans obvious apprehensive abt this job and a mechanical solution could be better. K

No I was just pointing out the drawbacks of ploughing unless interrupted and on the contour, did not see the Clarke device referred to.

Yes there's no way I would enterntain manual working it a powered machine can get in there.

• Like 1

Aye I think the only way will be to go out in similar ground and dig a few mounds and time urself, try some different methods of digging etc and add a fair bit on.

Just guessing but I imagine u could do a few more than 150 a day.

That's only about 1 every 2 mins on a 6hr day ( know most planter boys like to be home early)

I would gues just 3 deep cuts with spade and flip it over shouldnae be too bad but will get well sick off it pretty quickly.

Nothing worse than tied in too a bad price and have acres to do losing money all the time when u have other work that pays to do.

I mind years ago the fencers I worked for occasionally got a job stacking tyres on new rubbish dumps on the packed clay.

It was a shitty job, always slippy ground and soaked from the stinking water in the tyres, not too mention the wires.

Seemingly loads of companies done it once and never again, we done it for years as boss only took enough to cover our digs and we got the rest made right good money in it.

• Sad 1

Just thinking about it there stacking firewood.

Do u think each mound would roughly take a similar time to u planting 3 or 4 soft woods in similar ground?

So divide wot ud expect to plant in a day by 4ish?

Atleast it looks decent going, not throu a brash matt althou that white/Molina grass can be pretty church gong slicing throu sward.

Never know might be 1 off those jobs that seems hellish but when they into it not so bad, but could go the other way too.

Will the trees have to be tuned/spiraled and staked when planted?

Trying to think but years ago u never mounded tubed and staked trees

Will the trees have to be tuned/spiraled and staked when planted?
Trying to think but years ago u never mounded tubed and staked trees

Trees just planted and left as Is. Good thoughts on the 3/4 soft wood plants though. Ideally I’d like a day at it to see what I could get in
  • Like 1