Hand mounding

Mjk86

11 hours ago, Mjk86 said:

Well given the ground I’d have thought least they could do was let us screef it but apparently has to be mounds.

We have an Argo and an access ride above, below and across area needing done.

Size of mounds roughly an a4 sheet of paper size would probably do.

Really struggling to come up with a price I was thinking anywhere between £0.70-£1.20

But that’s a stab in the dark

I dare say it might depend how much other work u have on or how much work u do for that client ( don't want anyone else getting foot in the door)

But I imagine it's the sort of job that could go either of 2 ways 

Far easier than u imagine and u and lads make cracking money at it  

Or the other way far harder, rained/misted off or snowed out and a financial disaster 

Is it a sizeable area?

Atleast u have decent enough access which is not always the case for some of the native sites.

I'd imagine be easier just with a sharp spade giving it a good heel in to cut ur 3 lines for the sod, saves u bending down just as much and a better angle for levering sod,/mound  over

Is it not true that unmounded trees overtakes mounded trees after about 5-7 years, althou have higher establishment losses.

With vegetation like that I doubt if have much out competeing the trees if u can keep the deer and blue hare off them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

How come there wasn't any drains put in where the digger did the mounding? Looks like water in the holes there in the photos. 

U often see that now esp with these new eco/continous mounders u tow behind a tractor/crawler.

I don't understand why ploughing is out of fashion but mounding is in, esp on new sites, a local engineer who still makes/refurbs forestry ploughs reckons in the future could be a problem on some sites off half the roots constantly sitting in water in the hole where the mound was taken from

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drinksloe said:

U often see that now esp with these new eco/continous mounders u tow behind a tractor/crawler.

I don't understand why ploughing is out of fashion but mounding is in, esp on new sites, a local engineer who still makes/refurbs forestry ploughs reckons in the future could be a problem on some sites off half the roots constantly sitting in water in the hole where the mound was taken from

Just watched Clarkes video of their tool, it leave a shallow trench, so if thats angled down hill its an instant drain. Anythink over 1000 plants, i would plough as yr now looking at repetitive strain conditions with many companies. K

This is a foot in the door for me job. It’s a massive site with a 3/5 year contract for work in all there’s only 3000 hand mounds to be done which in the grand scheme of things probably worth the hassle for long term benefits. Just trying to devise a fair price which isn’t gonna cost me