Aspen vs Fuel Stabiliser and Higher RON Fuels

Witterings

I just got some cheapo scooter synthetic 2 stroke stuff had the best ratings.....not that i fully understand there importance, apart from  they relate to being clean burning so lower emissions, and less carbon deposits.

API TC+

JASO FD

ISO L-EGD

How much % harmful emisions from a 2 stroke is the petrol part and how much is the 2 stroke oil as 4 stroke are alot healthier?

E.g from makita:

Makita MM4 also delivers an astonishing 90% reduction in emission levels - only 10% of an equivalent 2-stroke engine.

So reckon just using full synth oil probably  = alot healthier as thats the majority of  emissions.....

Then you get thoose 2 stroke brands  in US they say can be used at 100:1 ratio...

3 minutes ago, Stere said:

I just got some cheapo scooter synthetic 2 stroke stuff had the best ratings.....not that i fully understand there importance, apart from  they relate to being clean burning so lower emissions, and less carbon deposits.

API TC+

JASO FD

ISO L-EGD

How much % harmful emisions from a 2 stroke is the petrol part and how much is the 2 stroke oil as 4 stroke are alot healthier?

E.g from makita:

So reckon just using full synth oil probably  = alot healthier as thats the majority of  emissions.....

Then you get thoose 2 stroke brands  in US they say can be used at 100:1 ratio...

This is where ratings are a little useless and spec sheets from testing are an interesting read for the inner nerd in me. It's like engine oil, you can buy the cheapest Tescos garbage that meets a manufacturers spec, lets say ford WSS-M2C913-C. You can also buy Castrol Magnatec for 4x the money that also meets "and exceeds" WSS-M2C913-C it's how far the product exceeds specs that matters! 

Suppose they will have a JASO FE next?

Also how about saws with cats on and if  how often should replace if you want there benefit?

See the  data a 2 stroke cat engine with reg fuel and oil below is similar to the aspen/alkalyte emissions wise?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/027868290910224

image.png.ebed2e90d035754f07c591c1567eb3e8.png

Edited by Stere

2 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Out of interest, although your oil is a closely guarded secret do you have any specs or photos from your testing? Stihl ran tests with BR600 blowers to compare oils which showed deposits and wear after 500 hours of continual static use. I'm sure that your oil is up there with the HP Ultra and Amsoil (which surprised me at 100:1 although the top of the piston was crusty) but it's nice to see what you got if you have it available?

f5e6df_2c7e1fa1807846a1b55cd7fa4414cb62_mv2.thumb.jpg.f8f1c7d01a61170c0c612b18d27c66e0.jpg

Hi Paddy,

The stihl 4-mix engines as used in the blowers in the tests above are really fussy when it comes to choosing the right oil. the majority of FD will coke the valves up very quickly which is one of the biggest reasons for failure in this engine. this is why stihl recommend that the ultra oil should be used in 4-mix machines and Aspen changed its oil formula when this engine was released and carried out 1000s of hours of field testing to make sure it was the best possible for all machines.

i will try to get hold of the piston tests from these as they would be a direct comparison to your chart above, you will find however that they look just like the picture of the piston ran on stihl ultra oil.

in the meantime, here is a picture from a stihl chainsaw with over 300 hours run time. If you run Aspen in your machines in the future. take a look inside when you eventually need to replace it and you will see the same :) 

aspen chainsaw piston.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Washing machines live longer with Calgon .... maybe I should try some of that 😄

WWW.WHICH.CO.UK

Calgon claims to extend your washer's life, but we found no convincing proof that washing machines 'live longer with Calgon' when we put it to the test.

Edited by Witterings

7 hours ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

the addition of ethanol in petrol is more damaging to the machinery than to your health. compared to the other chemicals in petrol, Ethanol is very kind in comparison. Vodka is essentially ethanol cut with water to put it into context (this also gives you a great understanding of how well water mixes with ethanol)

Benzene (carcinogenic) exposure is the biggest problem with using regular petrol compared to Aspen fuel when looking at the health benefits. a chainsaw will emit roughly 108 times less benzene when running on Aspen. Aspen is also free from aromatic hydrocarbons (solvents) which is why many people notice headaches reduce when making the switch. 

off course, each person experiences these effects differently and most people aren't working around fires who use our products (i dont know how the exposure of carcinogenic substances compares between chainsaw emissions and burning wood but it would be interesting to find out!)

There is very little difference between the different grades of pump fuel when it comes to harmful components, after all - they are all trying to meet the same standards whilst trying to do it as cheaply as possible. you certainly wouldn't notice any difference to your health choosing one over the other.

if you cant store large quantities of fuel, perhaps speak to your local dealer about the 25L sizes

I will enquire about 25 litre drums. Masks aren't exactly comfortable when working but more and more the idea of the type that at least block the particles from wood fires is food for thought

5 hours ago, Aspen@AAOIL said:

Hi Paddy,

The stihl 4-mix engines as used in the blowers in the tests above are really fussy when it comes to choosing the right oil. the majority of FD will coke the valves up very quickly which is one of the biggest reasons for failure in this engine. this is why stihl recommend that the ultra oil should be used in 4-mix machines and Aspen changed its oil formula when this engine was released and carried out 1000s of hours of field testing to make sure it was the best possible for all machines.

i will try to get hold of the piston tests from these as they would be a direct comparison to your chart above, you will find however that they look just like the picture of the piston ran on stihl ultra oil.

in the meantime, here is a picture from a stihl chainsaw with over 300 hours run time. If you run Aspen in your machines in the future. take a look inside when you eventually need to replace it and you will see the same :) 

aspen chainsaw piston.PNG

Well, between being open about your product and the other guys who run it having no issues you have a new customer. I picked up some more Aspen4 today but when I run out of HP Ultra I will switch to Aspen 2!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stere said:

API TC+

JASO FD

ISO L-EGD

E.g from makita:

The Red Line I use can be mixed at 100 : 1 but I stick with 50 : 1