Aspen vs Fuel Stabiliser and Higher RON Fuels

Witterings

Can we just clarify something here. I've used Aspen to a degree in forestry saws over the past few months and I'd love to say it has made my lungs and cough better, but frankly with brash fires constantly going (green wood smoke proven to be carcinogenic), there isn't any noticeable difference. I do care about my health by the way, but can't justify the extra daily cost on top of all other consumables - the margins in chestnut cutting are just too low. I also can't store pallets of the stuff where I am, so slighly stuffed in that respect.

Is it primarily supposed to be the ethanol that is the most damaging in the emissions, or other chemicals; I'm wondering to what degree the higher octane  / ethanol free pump fuel may at least be some improvement on what is inhaled? Maybe I just need a job shift before I keel over.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

Can we just clarify something here. I've used Aspen to a degree in forestry saws over the past few months and I'd love to say it has made my lungs and cough better, but frankly with brash fires constantly going (green wood smoke proven to be carcinogenic), there isn't any noticeable difference. I do care about my health by the way, but can't justify the extra daily cost on top of all other consumables - the margins in chestnut cutting are just too low. I also can't store pallets of the stuff where I am, so slighly stuffed in that respect.

Is it primarily supposed to be the ethanol that is the most damaging in the emissions, or other chemicals; I'm wondering to what degree the higher octane  / ethanol free pump fuel may at least be some improvement on what is inhaled? Maybe I just need a job shift before I keel over.

Well, guys have been using fuel for centuries and not died of it so I doubt you would keel over ;) The ethanol is damaging to the engine plastics and can suck in water as it's hydroscopic so that's more machine. Petrol has benzines iirc and a few other chemicals in it that are bad for you of which there are almost 6 times less in Aspen from memory. I would say Petrol vs Aspen is like Smoking vs Vaping! Both are bad for you but one is definitely worse.

Edited by Paddy1000111

15 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I've just never trusted "unbranded" "unknown" pre-mix oils in ready to go fuel. Mostly because in the past the pre-mix stuff was garbage made for home-owners who would have a weedwacker that they would use once a year to find it didn't start. I know Aspen is nothing of the sort but I know what I am getting when I mix it myself 

Hi Paddy,

The oil in Aspen 2 is a close kept secret as it is one of the reasons why the product is so good and why we can claim it to be "better for machines".

Aspen has carried out 1000s of hours of lab testing to ensure that Aspen 2 users can be assured they are giving their machines the best possible fuel/oil mix. Great oil + alkylate mix (mixed at the correct ratio) = happy machinery.

The stihl ultra oil is the closest comparable oil on the market and is also a fantastic oil for commercially used 2-stroke equipment.

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Just the pedant in me but , its hygroscopic .  Hydroscopic is the ability to look through a liquid .

Ha! There's a lot paperwork with ability to look through water flying about right now 😂 Every day is a school day and all that. 

Looks like I have been told by aspen! When I've run out of Stihl HP Ultra I'll give Aspen 2 a crack

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Acerforestry said:

the addition of ethanol in petrol is more damaging to the machinery than to your health. compared to the other chemicals in petrol, Ethanol is very kind in comparison. Vodka is essentially ethanol cut with water to put it into context (this also gives you a great understanding of how well water mixes with ethanol)

Benzene (carcinogenic) exposure is the biggest problem with using regular petrol compared to Aspen fuel when looking at the health benefits. a chainsaw will emit roughly 108 times less benzene when running on Aspen. Aspen is also free from aromatic hydrocarbons (solvents) which is why many people notice headaches reduce when making the switch. 

off course, each person experiences these effects differently and most people aren't working around fires who use our products (i dont know how the exposure of carcinogenic substances compares between chainsaw emissions and burning wood but it would be interesting to find out!)

There is very little difference between the different grades of pump fuel when it comes to harmful components, after all - they are all trying to meet the same standards whilst trying to do it as cheaply as possible. you certainly wouldn't notice any difference to your health choosing one over the other.

if you cant store large quantities of fuel, perhaps speak to your local dealer about the 25L sizes

• Like 1

Out of interest, although your oil is a closely guarded secret do you have any specs or photos from your testing? Stihl ran tests with BR600 blowers to compare oils which showed deposits and wear after 500 hours of continual static use. I'm sure that your oil is up there with the HP Ultra and Amsoil (which surprised me at 100:1 although the top of the piston was crusty) but it's nice to see what you got if you have it available?

f5e6df_2c7e1fa1807846a1b55cd7fa4414cb62_mv2.thumb.jpg.f8f1c7d01a61170c0c612b18d27c66e0.jpg

Edited by Paddy1000111