Aspen vs Fuel Stabiliser and Higher RON Fuels

Witterings

Does anybody know what the difference is between using Aspen 2 against petrol mixed with something like the Briggs & Stratton Fuel Stabiliser.

If you buy 250ml of stabilser for approx £5 (give or take a few pence) works out at 20p per litre + fuel ... lets round it up and say £1.30 per litre so total £1.50.

Multiply it up for 5 liters = £7.50 + 2 stroke at approx £1 = £8.50 ... in essence it's less than 1/2 the cost of Aspen although buying 2 stroke /and stabiliser in larger quantities there'd be greater savings to be had.

Does Aspen 2 do anything over and above what normal fuel with stabiliser would and what about using higher RON fuel like 97/98 instead of 95 ... is that good or bad / what effect would it have ?? 

I use "ultimate" petrol mixed with stihl ultra and Stabil fuel stabiliser. Never had an issue with it, never had fuel really go stale but I haven't had it hang around long enough to really find out. I wouldn't "store" petrol, even with stabil in it. 

I have also bought 4 stroke aspen and mixed it with 2 stroke oil and it's a different beast. The saw feels zippier on aspen and it doesn't smell so bad. It also starts nicer too.

It depends on what I am doing. If I am doing a load of work I will run petrol, if I am storing a tool or doing "bits" then I will run aspen

7 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It depends on what I am doing. If I am doing a load of work I will run petrol, if I am storing a tool or doing "bits" then I will run aspen

This is exactly what I'd started doing but I was speaking with a dealer (bearing in mind they see them coming back in for service / repairs) who was too far away to sell me Aspen on a regular basis and he said it's the only thing he'd use.

I've got into the habit if I know I'm going to empty a tank or 2 do exactly as you say and then put a smidge of Aspen in to run it through / store at the end but he didn't seem to approve as he felt Aspen was generally better for running the saw all the time.

1 minute ago, Witterings said:

This is exactly what I'd started doing but I was speaking with a dealer (bearing in mind they see them coming back in for service / repairs) who was too far away to sell me Aspen on a regular basis and he said it's the only thing he'd use.

I've got into the habit if I know I'm going to empty a tank or 2 do exactly as you say and then put a smidge of Aspen in to run it through / store at the end but he didn't seem to approve as he felt Aspen was generally better for running the saw all the time.

Oh 100% he's not wrong that aspen is better to run all the time. It burns better, cleaner, the engine likes it more, it's better for plastics. It's also ny-on £20 for 5L as opposed to £5 for 5L... You have to pick your battles. For every 100L I buy I would save £300 by running normal fuel. Would I save £300 in maintenance, I doubt it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Oh 100% he's not wrong that aspen is better to run all the time. It burns better, cleaner, the engine likes it more, it's better for plastics. It's also ny-on £20 for 5L as opposed to £5 for 5L... You have to pick your battles. For every 100L I buy I would save £300 by running normal fuel. Would I save £300 in maintenance, I doubt it. 

I think you've just hit the nail on the head and in essence it depends what you're using it for .... I'd forgotten he mentioned cleaner and better for the engine because of it.

Guess it all comes down to how much use it gets... someone using all day everyday as you say it'd probably cost you more for the fuel than the saving ... someone like me will use it 4 / 5 times a year for 2 / 3 hour stretches it may be beneficial.

Cheers for that a really helpful response!!!! 

Which part of Devon u from .... used to go down to Okehamton / Jaconstowe quite a lot and love it down there ... a beautiful part of the country!!

7 hours ago, Witterings said:

I think you've just hit the nail on the head and in essence it depends what you're using it for .... I'd forgotten he mentioned cleaner and better for the engine because of it.

Guess it all comes down to how much use it gets... someone using all day everyday as you say it'd probably cost you more for the fuel than the saving ... someone like me will use it 4 / 5 times a year for 2 / 3 hour stretches it may be beneficial.

Cheers for that a really helpful response!!!! 

Which part of Devon u from .... used to go down to Okehamton / Jaconstowe quite a lot and love it down there ... a beautiful part of the country!!

With the pump fuel and stabilizer you still get all the solvents and ethanol . You don't with any of the alkylate fuels .

Alkylate petrol (motomix/aspen).
There are quite a few threads on it.
Basically if you like the exhaust fumes of pump petrol damaging your lungs ,brain etc that’s fine.
Personally I prefer to pay a few extra pounds and use something healthier for myself and the environment [emoji106]

• Like 4