PTO chipper advice

hilltownorganics

On 22/12/2020 at 21:58, lux said:

The chipper in the video looks pretty woeful. Even if it is cheap. I could see it struggling on dense greenery such as conifers etc. The diameter material being fed in it in the video is pretty small. Make sure you do your homework before buying. You don’t want to be disappointed and unable to return it. emoji106.png

Thank you for the warning Lux, I agree, one needs to do some homework : ) My choice would be to buy from local person/dealer and go to see it working etc too. I've realised by now that videos can be very misleading. We will be doing mainly small diameter young willow, with some other broadleaves at times, but no conifers...the search continues....thanks again, appreciate the advice : )

@hilltownorganics I don't think you need to be as wary of petrol engined machines as you seem to think; Honda, Briggs & Stratton etc are reliable.

You say you are mainly dealing with small diameter willow brush so how about something like the machines in this range?  Look at the prices!

WWW.TITAN-PRO.CO.UK

Petrol Chipper available to buy from Titan Pro - choose from a variety of Petrol Shredders today.

• Thanks 1

On 24/12/2020 at 15:51, nepia said:

@hilltownorganics I don't think you need to be as wary of petrol engined machines as you seem to think; Honda, Briggs & Stratton etc are reliable.

You say you are mainly dealing with small diameter willow brush so how about something like the machines in this range?  Look at the prices!

WWW.TITAN-PRO.CO.UK

Petrol Chipper available to buy from Titan Pro - choose from a variety of Petrol Shredders today.

Thanks for that Nepia. Yes, I can now see that this may in fact be a better option for us. As a result of all the comments here we've been changing our thoughts as to what to get and are now moving away from the idea of pto driven but make sure we get one with a well-known relieable engine, as you said. thank you!

Just wanted to say big thanks to all you for your comments and suggestions. It's been super useful for us to read your thoughts and we have totally turn around on our decision and are going to go for a chipper with a good reliable engine now and not a pto driven as we originally had planned. Apart from Greenmech and Timberwolf, are there any other brands with good reliable engines and built that we should be looking at for our scale? And, does it mater if engine is petrol or diesel? does that make any difference? We'll do loads of fresh hardwood of small size (max 4") with leaves on, some dried and some conifers less frequently. Thanks for all your help, you've probably save us from buying the wrong machine!

Look at Agri-euro before you do.

There are some decent low priced machines on there and the savings will certainly offset the lack of local dealer support. Agri-euro have a full spares back up too and a pro-active help line.

That one in your link is very expensive for what it is.

Stuart

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hilltownorganics said:

wanting to buy from local shop/dealer if possible- this is one we are looking at:

WWW.HAYESGARDENMACHINERY.CO.UK

The Premier 11.50 RS is DR's smallest dedicated wood chipper that packs a serious punch. Designed solely for chipping...

How the hell do you move it around? Cant see a handle on it anywhere