PTO chipper advice

hilltownorganics

Carefully..... I would say [emoji39]  dont think that will do the man, one of those Jansen 15hp looks the ticket. K

Better off with the cs100.
I’ve seen the results of a couple of hours chipping on those generic small machines. The blades are incredibly soft and get ruined with a couple of hours use .

The key to those tiny chippers is having sharp blades. I think the green mech will have a much higher quality blade that will stay sharp and chip better for longer.

The OP would be better hiring a decent chipper when needed or getting someone in to chip for them instead of spending money these chippers really.

Small chippers are labour intensive, gravity fed , bits bouncing back out , snedding everything before it chips. A lot of time used.

As said- dont think it will be having walloping huge amounts throu it, used that Jansen fr a day and was quite impressed. Threw it well too. Better that some bigger chippers. K

Yeah I’ve used them. They love conifer. I guess the gravity feed likes that material. Stick a piece of hardwood around 3” in it and they are miserable.

34 minutes ago, TIMON said:

We had a GreenMech PTO chipper. Bombproof build quality. In the long run, buying one of these will save you money (and, of course, the frustration that inevitably comes with buying cheap Chinese crap)

I would !  but this guy on a budget which I think he has said excludes Greenmech . Prefer them to TWs but am not spending his money sadly ( not inevitably - I have had some good cheap chinese crap !! )  K

I would !  but this guy on a budget which I think he has said excludes Greenmech . Prefer them to TWs but am not spending his money sadly ( not inevitably - I have had some good cheap chinese crap !! )  K

The exception that reinforces the rule..

my £20 Lidl chain grinder is a similar example (although that’s German) of a cheap piece of kit that performs and has longevity.

I wouldn’t like to test the theory out on a major purchase like a chipper though.

1 minute ago, TIMON said:

The exception that reinforces the rule..

my £20 Lidl chain grinder is a similar example (although that’s German) of a cheap piece of kit that performs and has longevity.

I wouldn’t like to test the theory out on a major purchase like a chipper though.

Hence the OP situation , I have welded up a couple of  premiuer chippers ,  annoyingly my 'cheap chinese crap top handle for 99 squids' is still ticking over nicely after new fuel pipes an a clutch spring . Caveat emptor .   :/   K

There are lots of quality 6inch pto chippers around but they are from £4k to £6k.

I would keep your money, buy something decent on finance, get the work done in a fraction of the time ,at a fraction of the labour cost (without destroying your knuckles )

youd only be paying back £50ish a week at most.

Plus it won’t  have lost a lot of its value when paid off.

• Like 1