PTO chipper advice

hilltownorganics

I recently bought a pto powered Junkkari. I use it at 1000rpm though. Key thing with these small manual chippers is good blades, as you are relying on the blade setting to pull material in. Mine works fine as long as material is straight going in, forked branches are a problem. 

In topchipples' video with the fordson major if it gets blocked won't the chipper spin around the yard as it's not attached to the tractor? Also majors had a faster pto than a 135, I think about 750 rpm.  

Farmi might be worth a look too 

MLARGE.COM

Farmi CH260 woodchipper

• Thanks 1

On 18/12/2020 at 11:10, Dawsons Groundcare said:

We have a greenmech eco 150 PTO. Looking to upgrade to a bigger chipper if you're interested in ours. 

If you're not too far away, happy for you to come and have a look at it. Based near Coventry 

Only issue is we've been told we'll have to wait till April for a new one so depends how much of a rush you're in. 

I’ve got a mate looking for one of these - could you give some details/pics/price please? Cheers!

14 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve got a mate looking for one of these - could you give some details/pics/price please? Cheers!

Dan, Tom Balmer at Balmers GM in Burnley has a 7yo ex Environment Agency unit going. I doubt that this did much work in its life. Shall I txt you his number?

2 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Dan, Tom Balmer at Balmers GM in Burnley has a 7yo ex Environment Agency unit going. I doubt that this did much work in its life. Shall I txt you his number?

Just had a quick look on their site - I’ll ping the link over to Darren but I’ve a feeling that’s going to be too new/over budget for him I’m afraid. If he shows interest I’ll get the number off you Pete, cheers! 

21 hours ago, carlos said:

id say a second hand one from a known chipper brand such as greenmech would be a much better bet than a new Chinese import  model.

repairs, maintenance and back up is going to be a lot easier too.

Hi Carlos (is that a spanish name?) Yes I agree with that, but have bought 2 second hand machines in last few years, both good brands, precisely following that reasoning, and might have been bad luck but both went wrong shortly after buying and of course we had no come back, so just so wary of doing that again, particularly since we havent got the knowledge to assess how good or not a 2nd hand one is; the best option for us would be to buy 2nd hand from someone we can trust, is just finding that i suposee..anyway, thanks for your comment, definitely getting off the idea of the buying the WoodlandMIlls one...thanks

17 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

I recently bought a pto powered Junkkari. I use it at 1000rpm though. Key thing with these small manual chippers is good blades, as you are relying on the blade setting to pull material in. Mine works fine as long as material is straight going in, forked branches are a problem. 

In topchipples' video with the fordson major if it gets blocked won't the chipper spin around the yard as it's not attached to the tractor? Also majors had a faster pto than a 135, I think about 750 rpm.  

MLARGE.COM

Farmi CH260 woodchipper

Thanks MrBlue I've never even heard of that brand so good to have other names to look into, we are limited to our mf135 450rpm thou, but will look and see what Junkkari is got...thank you

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Just had a quick look on their site - I’ll ping the link over to Darren but I’ve a feeling that’s going to be too new/over budget for him I’m afraid. If he shows interest I’ll get the number off you Pete, cheers! 

Not surprised. That's a very cheeky price they are asking. That will be gathering a lot of dust

On 19/12/2020 at 17:04, Mrblue5000 said:

MLARGE.COM

Farmi CH260 woodchipper

I have a farmi 260 pto and you need 90hp plus to run it.  130-150hp ideally. It's a 1000kg as well. 

• Like 1

is there any difference if one is going to be chipping mainly green wood with branches/leaves rather than dried wood? in terms of what I should look for? just noticed this blacktools video and others i've seen only show straight and what looks like dried wood? not sure if it's a silly question but better check i thought..

The chipper in the video looks pretty woeful. Even if it is cheap. I could see it struggling on dense greenery such as conifers etc. The diameter material being fed in it in the video is pretty small. Make sure you do your homework before buying. You don’t want to be disappointed and unable to return it. [emoji106]
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1