Lifting slabs with machinery

Stephen Blair

Looking for ideas of what the more experienced millers are using onsite to lift heavy milled slabs once they have been milled.

Largest machine I'm allowed on site is a 3t Mini digger.

Slabs are going to be too wide for my grab and risk damaging.

Thoughts so far are lifting tongs on a swivel/shackle.

Eyebolt on a plate to be quickly attached but I think that's going to damage the timber too much.

I don't want to mess about with ratchet straps and bits of rope so if there's an invention already out there I'd rather buy it.

Guessing the slabs are going to be 250-300kgs but could well be more.

Thanks

• Like 1

I get rails delivered for fencing and if ful pack tractor will not lift the so just slid webbing sling between rails about halfway down and split pack.. 

You should be able to use 2 slings one each end with some sort of spreader bar with hook on each end then longer you sling wider the slab you can pick up. 

Or a set of light weight pallet forks for digger maybe. 

Edited by woody paul

1 hour ago, Stephen Blair said:

Looking for ideas of what the more experienced millers are using onsite to lift heavy milled slabs once they have been milled.

Largest machine I'm allowed on site is a 3t Mini digger.

Slabs are going to be too wide for my grab and risk damaging.

Thoughts so far are lifting tongs on a swivel/shackle.

Eyebolt on a plate to be quickly attached but I think that's going to damage the timber too much.

I don't want to mess about with ratchet straps and bits of rope so if there's an invention already out there I'd rather buy it.

Guessing the slabs are going to be 250-300kgs but could well be more.

Thanks

have a look at this portable RSJ hoist.

IMG-20200906-WA0021.thumb.jpg.95f06f7f796c2bfcdb57468ef55dbad1.jpgIMG-20200229-WA0021.thumb.jpg.c291884ed67fcbca22715b8830f3fe63.jpg

Couple options here but both with machines.  Method is jack each corner up with wedges enough to get two slings on and move with the machine. This is better than grabbing with the machine because doesn't damage but more often than not the bark doesn't matter...IMG-20190518-WA0005.thumb.jpg.7dd5c0fdda3d3eb9bebe60d588268b68.jpg

Again, jacking up first with wedges and then insert the forks...each site requires a different plan often because of the conditions. 

Not saying any of these are the best way but just how it's worked for me in the past 😁

• Like 5