Payload

Ashley_smith

Hi

i was looking at getting a pick up and was just wondering about trailer towing and vehicle payload weights

I the vehicle was towing a trailer fully loaded to a total of 2700 inc trailer would the payload in the pick up still be 1000kg or does it change? 

If the max towing weight is 2700 could you still tow a 3500kg trailer?

thanks ashley 

55 minutes ago, Ashley_smith said:

Hi

i was looking at getting a pick up and was just wondering about trailer towing and vehicle payload weights

I the vehicle was towing a trailer fully loaded to a total of 2700 inc trailer would the payload in the pick up still be 1000kg or does it change? 

If the max towing weight is 2700 could you still tow a 3500kg trailer?

thanks ashley 

If a vehicle is plated to tow 2700 kg then that is the max it can pull.You could pull a 3.5 ton trailer but if the trailer weight is 1200 kg then maximum payload would be 1500 kg total 2700 kg

Edited by topchippyles

3 minutes ago, Ashley_smith said:

Yeah I was looking at an ifor Williams trailer and there is 2 different weight variants for the same trailer and was wondering if it would be ok to pull the 3500kg variant or if I’d have to have the 2700kg the same as the vehicle max tow weight? 

Second option is correct.How could you pull 3500 kg if max is 2700 kg, Each vehicle will have a stamp plate showing the correct info or google the vehicle model number for specs

Edited by topchippyles

1 minute ago, Ashley_smith said:

If I had a trailer that is capable of taking 3500kg but only loading it to the vehicle max of 2700? 

Correct.Its the towing weight of the vehicle that counts.Like saying i have a tractor but can i tow a hgv 25 ton trailer which is not the case.

Edited by topchippyles

8 minutes ago, Ashley_smith said:

My only fear was having a trailer plated at 3500kg and the vehicle being plated at 2700kg and the police trying to do me 

Fear not.

The GTW limit is real weight not plate weights.

Re still having the full payload when towing, it depends.

Some makes allow say towing 3000kg & 1000kg payload BUT not at same time.

Tow 3000kg & it could be a load limit of 500kg.

Very common with pickups.

What is your unladen, MAM & GTW

• Like 1

You can tow a heavier rated trailer than the plated tow vehicle, just not to max payload. You can only tow up to the plated weight of the tow vehicle. There used to be a thread on here with a letter from Ifor Williams explaining this fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you will get some contradictory advice about this, I looked at it but in the end avoided it by getting a 3.5ton tow vehicle.

It can be a problem that the trailer is plated above the vehicle max towing weight, even when it's empty so the actual weight is below the vehicle capacity. I've read this applies only to commercial use, or only when on a tacho, or not really ever going to be enforced.

Have to advise caution, or get the 2.7tonne trailer is safe, or get a newer pickup as I think most have been uprated now to 3.5. I went for Defender, all the Landrovers have always been 3.5t.